He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Castiel shouted, tearing off his trench coat and launching the book on his bed into the air as he slammed down onto the sheets. "Forget about it? How? What the fuck, Dean?"

The Winchester brothers were gone on a hunting trip. Not that their absence was even noticeable, given the fact Dean had ignored his very existence for a solid week now. They'd pass each other in the hall, and Castiel would try to clear the air. Dean would act as though he hadn't heard a word of it. In the morning, he'd wake up only to find Dean had left somewhere earlier. No matter what time Castiel woke up, he never managed to catch Dean. At night, when he finally came home from his hiding place, Dean would lock himself in his room.

Castiel was shaking so hard he was practically vibrating. He sent his sketchbook flying as he shouted for Gabriel. His brother appeared just in time to duck when pages of cats, hunting information, moose with guns, undercover squirrel agents, scribbles, and even portraits of Dean Winchester hurtled past him. The book slammed against the wall with loud smack. Castiel's tirade didn't end there. He batted a lamp across the room, barely registering the smashing pieces.

As he was about to punch a mirror, Gabriel took hold of his fist. "Stop, Cassie!" His voice came out stronger than he felt, watching Castiel shatter like this.

Castiel looked like he was going to smite Gabriel himself. Then he crumpled to the floor, his fists dropping along with salty tears. Gabriel knelt down beside him.

"Hey," he called softly. "Shh, hey, it's okay. It's okay. What's wrong, baby bro?"

Castiel snuffed. "Dean..." he got out. "He kissed me."

"And," Gabriel coaxed further.

Shaking his head, Castiel wiped his eyes, leaning against Gabriel. "He doesn't love me, Gabe. He'll never feel the same way I do."

"He kissed you. I'm pretty sure that says he feels some sort of way."

"No," Castiel sighed. "It was pity. He knew how I felt and decided to try because he cares so fucking much," Castiel's fists curled. "But even after he kissed me, he still doesn't feel the same."

Gabriel held him at arm's length, looking him in the eye. "How would you know that? Did he tell you? Did you read his mind?" Castiel shook his head. "Then don't just assume his feelings for you. He's probably just got his head too far up his ass, Cas. You know him."

Gabriel was right. Castiel had seen his soul, knew what kind of human Dean was. "You're right," he replied, hope surging through him. "He's probably just figuring out his emotions. After all, he kissed me." Castiel smiled a bit. Holy shit, there was still a chance.