Chapter Nine

Neither one of us moved. I sat at the table, my dressed pulled up past my thighs and he stood in the doorway, staring at me with a small blush growing on his face.

Butterflies grew in my stomach with every second that he stared. I imagined that I could feel the searing heat of his gaze on my skin.

After my shock wore off, I hopped up, my dress falling back down. I winced at my leg and bowed lowly. I stared at the floor with wide eyes and a vicious blush covering my cheeks. My hair fell down like curtains around me. I regretted taking it out of its bun.

"I'm sorry, sire." I finally said.

Arthur cleared his throat, and I looked up at him through my lashes to see his expression. He seemed in conflict with himself, as well as a little flustered.

"What, uh, what happened?" He asked finally, clearing his throat again.

"During the attack on Deira, I was wounded." I explained, straightening up hesitantly.

He seemed worried at this information, and took a step closer, his brow furrowed.

"And you told no one of this until now?" He asked, seemingly confused.

"My main priority is making sure the Princess is comfortable." I said after a brief pause, "If this means putting her before my own needs, then so be it."

"You are very loyal, Dawn." He told me.

If I wasn't mistaken, I heard a tone of admiration in his voice. My cheeks tinged pink with pride.

"I am just doing my job, sire." I replied.

I leaned on my healthy leg, a bit unbalanced. My thigh ached and I did my best not to show I was bothered, but it apparently did not work.

"Where are my manners? Please, sit. We can't have you putting too much strain on that leg of yours." He exclaimed, hurrying forward to grasp my elbow when I began to teeter in one direction.

"With all due respect, lord, I couldn't possibly sit while the future King himself stands."

Arthur shook his head, his eyes taking on a look of sheer stubbornness. He said, "I insist."

Knowing I wasn't in such a mood to argue, I consented to his request, and began to lower myself to sit on the bench.

When I winced, Arthur shook his head, took a hold of my waist, and lifted me up gently. I gasped at his touch, and he avoided meeting my eyes. He set me on top of the table where I had been, and stepped away quickly.

"I apologize." He said, "I do not know what came over me."

I grabbed the wet towel and shook my head to dismiss his apology. I reached for the hem of my dress, but paused and turned to look at him.

"Do you mind? Gaius wanted me to keep the rag on the wound until he returned with the ingredients of the salve." I explained, blushing slightly at the thought of having so much skin bared in front of the prince.

I mean, he was to be the ruler of the kingdom one day, for God's sake.

He reddened, cleared his throat, and nodded for me to proceed. I pulled my skirt up high, and set the rag on it. Arthur turned away, and I found myself staring at his broad shoulders. I blushed and turned away.

He's Faye's betrothed, Dawn! I thought, scolding myself.

I looked back over at him for a second out of the corner of my eye, admiring how his muscles moved. I bit my lip and my cheeks reddened.

I guess it's not like they are married yet, anyway...

Arthur turned around, and I blushed bright red, embarrassed at having been caught. I looked down at my leg, focusing on soaking it with the rag.

"I, uh," He cleared his throat, "I was wondering if you knew where Merlin was."

"No, I don't."

He nodded, and turned to leave. He opened the door and almost ran into Gaius as he returned. Arthur mumbled something and raced out, his cheeks bright red.

I was blushing myself, and I couldn't look Gaius in the eye. He didn't say anything, but he smirked a little. He brought the herbs in his hand to the table next to me and began to make the poltice.

"The prince was just, uh, looking for Merlin." I explained, feeling the need to defend myself.

"And did he find him?" Gaius asked.

I gave him a confused look, raising an eyebrow. Gaius's smirk grew into a grin and said, "I mean, he must have done a through search if he had stayed so long."

I narrowed my eyes at him, which caused him to chuckle. He finished up with the poltice, and moved to start work on my leg. I winced as he packed the salve into the wound, but he didn't leg up. He wrapped a long bandage around my thigh, before stepping back.

"You will need to rest as this heals." Gaius told me.

"I'll be fine."

He narrowed his eyes at me and said, "No, you need to rest."

I sighed, and hopped to my feet. As soon as I made contact with the ground, I staggered, but I managed to catch myself on the edge of the table. Gaius narrow his eyes and came to help me, but I stood up quickly and shooed him away.

"I'll be fine." I repeated.

I took my small pouch of money out of the folds of my dress and started searching through it for some payment. I grabbed some money and held it out to him.

"I can't take your money."

"You can and you will." I said.

He refused again, so I tossed the coins on the table, before turning away. I started towards the door, but paused in the doorway.

"Thank you, Gaius, for your help." I said.

He sighed, and started picking up the money, before he said, "You are the worst patient, Dawn."

I laughed, before turning and walking out the door.