Chapter 4

"Merlin, what is that book doing out on the table? I was sure that I put it away earlier," Gaius said as he entered his house.

Merlin cringed and mentally slapped himself, he couldn't believe that he had forgotten to put the book away! He slowly turned towards Gaius, "I was just doing some reading."

"My medical books?"

Merlin nodded and grinned, "um, yep! They're very interesting!" He raised an eyebrow at him, "is that so surprising?"

Gaius smiled at him, "oh that's great, Merlin! I knew you would think my work was interesting eventually!"

Merlin turned back towards the cabinet that he was grabbing supplies from and quickly threw them in a small bag. He started to walk towards the door but Gaius stopped him, "where are you going?"

Merlin held up the bag, "I just need to go clean Arthur's room."

Gaius waved his hand, "Arthur's room can wait. Let's start on your education!" He opened up his big medical book and turned to the beginning. "Sit down."

"No, I really should get these-"

"Sit," Gaius interrupted sternly.

Merlin looked back at the door in defeat and slowly walked towards the table and sat down, praying that this wouldn't take long.

                                                                                        * * *

"Where have you been all day?" Morgana asked Merlin as he knocked on her door later that night.

"I'm sorry, Gaius wouldn't let me leave." He held up a small bowl, "but I've got the medicine for the boy."

She nodded and ushered him into her room quickly. He walked swiftly over to the screen in the far corner of her room and sat down at the edge of the boy's bed.

"Morgana, can you get me some water please?"

She nodded and left his side, running off to get a pitcher of water. While Morgana was away fetching water, Merlin scooped up some of the green cream he had made out of Gaius' ingredients and started to put it on the boy's arm.

"Thank you, Emrys."

Merlin looked up and stared at the boy. He had heard the boy call to him in his mind but the boy wasn't even conscious yet.

"What did you say?" he whispered.

Morgana returned to his side and dipped a piece of cloth in the water and set it on the boy's head, "he hasn't said anything yet." She looked outside, "it's getting late, Merlin, you should get back. I'll let you know if there's any change."

He nodded and smiled at her, which she returned, and he quickly left her room, before he was caught.

                                                                                            * * *

"Merlin, you're in trouble now," Gaius said as he shook Merlin awake the next morning.

Merlin looked alarmed, "what have I done?"

Gaius laughed, "Morgana is here to see you and she never comes round here for anything other than her remedies."

Merlin's eyes widened and he climbed out of bed. He ran a hand through his hair and walked down the stairs to meet her in the hallway.

He closed the door behind him, "what's wrong?"

She started to wring her hands together, "his fever hasn't gone away," she said barely above a whisper, "I fear he's been getting worse. We need Gaius."

Merlin sighed, "he hasn't gotten any better?"

She shook her head and he looked towards the door, "ok, we can trust him. But I'd better do the talking, better him being angry at me than you."

She flashed him a grateful smile as he walked back inside Gaius' chambers.

"Gaius, we need your help."

Gaius looked up from his books and raised an eyebrow, "what do you need my help with."

"Well..." Merlin drawled the word out, "it's about the Druid boy."

Gaius stood up from his chair, "tell me you didn't..."

Merlin nodded sheepishly, "I couldn't leave him there to die, he's just a child. But he's grown ill and he's getting worse."

"Merlin, I can't help you."

"The boy will die if he doesn't get help! If you don't help then you're just as bad as Uther is."

Gaius sighed and looked at the pair, "you're helping too, Morgana?"

She nodded, "like he said, we couldn't leave him there to die."

Gaius nodded, "I'll help," he said quietly but then added sternly, "but make sure that as soon as he's better, you get him out of Camelot!"

"Thank you, Gaius," Merlin and Morgana said to him as they ran out the door and back to the boy.

                                                                                         * * *

Gaius grimaced as he looked over the boy's arm, "well one thing's for sure," he noted, looking up at Merlin, "you're no doctor."

He cleaned the wound as best as he could and administered a mixture of various herbs. He then wrapped up the boy's arm with a clean cloth and gave Morgana a small vial, "give this to him when he wakes up. It'll bring the fever down."

She nodded and set it down at her bedside table.

Gaius looked over at the boy and sighed, he was only a boy. How could Uther want someone so young to be executed? He stood up and said to Merlin and Morgana, "he should be better by tomorrow, but be careful, they've started checking all the carts of people leaving this place. They've also doubled the guards everywhere. If you're going to get him out of here, you'll have to come up with a plan to do it safely."

Merlin nodded, "don't worry, we'll think of something."