Chapter 10

Hunith came running to the door of her hovel when she heard three loud and sharp knocks. She gasped and curtsied as she saw who it was, "my lord."

Arthur smiled at her, "there's no need for that. Are Merlin and/or Morgana here?"

Hunith nodded and opened the door even wider, allowing the prince to enter. He walked through the threshold of the hovel and entered the small dining room. Merlin and Morgana looked up from their breakfasts and smiled, "Arthur!"

Arthur smiled back, "I hope you don't mind that I brought a friend?" He stepped back and Gwen came walking into the room.

Morgana stood up, "Gwen!" she ran towards her and hugged her, "it's good to see you."

Arthur smiled at the two girls hugging and then asked, "I received word that I was needed here?"

Morgana smirked, "good to know you can actually read."

Arthur rolled his eyes and pursed his lips together, "well obviously. So who's the man I need to knock some sense in to?"

Merlin swallowed his biscuit and then spoke, "his name's Kanan. He's a raider and he's been terrorizing nearby villages for food and valuables. My people don't stand a chance against him and his men."

Arthur nodded and sat down next to him on the bench. He stared ahead, deep in thought. After a few moments he finally broke the silence, "so the townspeople need a little bit of encouragement?"

Morgana smiled, "yes, would you talk to them? After all, you are the prince. They should listen to you."

Arthur nodded slowly and stood up, "right, got it, pep rally, good."

* * *

"We must fight them and take back your land! He has no right to steal from you!" Arthur spoke to the crowd of villagers that had gathered around him.

"Are you mad?!" A boy from the village stepped forward. Merlin face palmed. His friend since childhood, William, always believed that fighting was never the answer. Why couldn't he just listen for once? Arthur actually was making a good point this time.

William continued, "we should just give them what they want so that they leave us alone! That way no one has to die!"

Arthur could see the man's reasoning but still spoke against it, "if you give Kanan what he wants then you're at his mercy forever. He will come round more often expecting more and more from you each time."

"Our people can't fight! We're farmers, we will all surely be killed."

"I say we try!" Matthew stepped forward, "maybe the prince can give us a few pointers. I don't know about you lot, but I don't want to stand around while the village I love gets raided and controlled by a thief."

By this point many more villagers had gathered and started to cheer at Matthew's statement.

"So we've reached an agreement?" Arthur smiled at the crowd.

"Yes!" they cheered back.

William stayed silent and crossed his arms, glaring at the prince. He was going to get them all killed. Merlin left the rally and followed his friend to his house as he stormed off.

* * *

Merlin shut the door behind him and William craned his neck to look at who followed him.

"Arthur is just trying to help," Merlin started.

William sighed as he sat down at his table, "I've seen princes like him before," he warned as he shook his head, "they only wish to be praised after their victories." William started to raise his voice slightly, "he's risking the lives of everyone you and I love for what? Bragging rights?"

Merlin shook his head and sat across from his best friend, "no, I know Arthur. He's my friend and I know that he wouldn't put innocent people's lives in danger like that."

William turned his head away and laughed, "a real friend? If he was your real friend you would've told him about your magic."