Chapter 12

"They've crossed the river," Morgana shouted from her position across from Arthur.

Arthur nodded at her and passed the message along to the rest of the townspeople who were getting into position. Arthur looked out past the fences and watched as around 50 men came riding towards them on horses. Arthur looked back at all of the villagers and nodded, "the battle begins."

Kanan and his men raced through the gates of Ealdor and trotted around the deserted town. Kanan growled when he didn't see anyone. He was about to start sending men in to the houses to check if there was anyone there when Arthur yelled, "now!"

Morgana nodded, knowing that this was her cue to start the fire. She rubbed the flint and steel together and tried in vain to set a rope that wound around the whole village on fire. Merlin watched from Arthur's side as Morgana struggled to light the fire. He looked back at the raiders who were starting to make their way towards them and decided to make a run for it. He covered his head and ran straight for Morgana pushing her towards Arthur, where she could get a sword. He put his hand over the rope and whispered, "Urulóki valdra." The rope burst into flames and Morgana watched from the other side of the fence, rubbing her eyes believe that it had to be a trick of the light. She was quickly pulled away from her thoughts when she heard the horses rear up when they saw the fire going around the town, throwing the riders off of their backs. The horses took off as soon as they could, heading away from Ealdor. Morgana smirked, now they were even matched. The raiders, now furious, charged towards the townspeople and the villagers readied their swords.

Before they knew it, both groups were on top of each other, fighting for their lives. The only sounds that filled the air were the sounds of metal on metal. Morgana raised her sword and brought it up towards one of Kanan's men. He quickly blocked her but she twisted his sword with the tip of hers and sent it flying. Arthur made his way to her and finished off the man before he could go and retrieve it.

Morgana rolled her eyes at him, "I had it under control."

"You can thank me later," he smirked.

Merlin ran around slashing a few of Kanan's men. When he was fighting one of the men, he didn't realize that there was another man behind him, readying his sword for the kill. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Will jumped out of his hiding place and slashed the man right across the chest. Merlin soon ended the fight he was having and turned to face his friend, "thanks."

Will smiled as two more men came running towards them, "don't thank me yet!"

Merlin watched as the battle progressed and decided that he needed to end it quickly, they were loosing too many men. He held out his hand, closed his eyes, and whispered, "beleg dagor." He opened his eyes and they flashed gold.

The clouds turned dark and gathered above Ealdor forming a huge whirlwind that sent the raiders flying. Merlin smiled as he realized that the battle was won.

Arthur stood to the side fighting the last remaining raider, Kanan. Arthur quickly put an end to it, jamming his sword through Kanan's stomach. Kanan grunted and sunk to his knees, blood suddenly filling his mouth. Arthur turned towards Merlin and William, "who did that? I know sorcery when I see it and I know it was one of you. So who did that?"

Merlin was about to speak up when Kanan raised a crossbow, aiming it at Arthur's back, hoping to kill the prince before he died. William saw the crossbow being raised and pushed Arthur out of the way just as the arrow was shot. William looked down at Kanan and smirked as he fell to the ground dead.

Suddenly William felt intense pain and looked down at his stomach where the arrow had pierced him. He watched as the blood started to pool. Merlin ran towards him and helped him as he fell to the ground, "no no no no no. Will, you're going to be okay. I'll make sure of it."

William weakly shook his head, "no, there's nothing you can do for me this time, Merlin."

Merlin shook his head, tears starting to gather in his eyes, "no don't say that. You can't die."

Will ignored him and looked up at Arthur, "it was me. I caused the whirlwinds. So what are you going to do, kill me?" he laughed bitterly.

Arthur shook his head and knelt down next to William, "of course not, you saved my life. Thank you."

"Yeah I know, what was I thinking?"

Merlin smiled at his friend's attempt at humor and held him close as William drew his final breath, "goodbye, Merlin. Good luck with your destiny, you're going to need it." When Merlin felt William's heart stop beating he let out a sob and buried his face in his best friend's shoulder.

It shouldn't have had to end this way.