Chapter 18

By the time Raya had passed on the relevant messages to her father and Dino, she followed Paige through to the living room and wondered if she could ask her something personal. She could see that her older sister was very casually flicking through a magazine, tapping her foot to the quiet party music she had put on the living room stereo, and felt that if she was so relaxed, she might not notice just how personal the question was. Taking a slow saunter in, Raya sank onto the sofa next to her sister and let out a deep, over-exaggerated sigh. “What’s wrong with you?” Paige asked with a soft smile, all too aware of the fact that Raya was deliberately trying to get her attention.

“Nothing.” She sighed dramatically, looking away. And the sight of it made her smile, knowing that however sweet her little sister was she’d never be a A-list actress. Flicking to the back page of her catalogue, she leant forward and picked up the pen from the coffee table, Raya’s intrigued stare amusing as Paige continued to ignore her and began to fill in the form on the last page. “What are you doing?” She asked questioningly, making Paige sigh and shrug as she explained that she was filling in the application form for her next course, in advance she insisted, trying to remember all the relevant information that she’d entered in her last application form and which things needed updating. “Did you ask papà already?” Raya asked, confused, but also knowing that Angelo had been the only one who had ever allowed her big sister to go on the courses she had asked to attend, so knowing that she was already filling out the application form, made her suspicious as to when she had had time to talk it over with Angelo. “I just ask because…well, I thought Angelo was hoping you would take over the firm once your business degree was finished.” She explained gently when she noticed Paige’s disapproving glance that said that she felt she shouldn’t have had to ask for permission to do what she wanted.

“It’s got nothing to do with Angelo so he should keep his nose out my business.” Paige sighed, knowing that Angelo was all too often trying to rule her life. Well, they weren’t married yet, if ever. And with the thought of it, she knew that that was something she’d have to get used to if she were to marry Angelo. He was always trying to rule her life as it was, and that would only get worse once they were married and Paige knew it would be even harder to win an argument or to remind him that her life was her own if they were to marry. Marriage to Angelo simply meant that he owned her and could do whatever he wanted with her and that she’d have to obey him for the rest of her life…was that something she really wanted to put herself through? “Angelo doesn’t own me Raya and he never will. I can do what I want with my life.” She explained suddenly, hurt at the thought of all that she’d come to realise.

“Oh…I know…” Raya stuttered hesitantly. She had no idea what to say now that her sister had made such an unusual and off-the-topic confession. So choosing the safer option, she decided to change the subject. “I think you’re doing the right thing Paige. There’s never going to be a better time to decide how you feel about Angelo than when he asks you to marry him. I know that if I had doubts over how I felt about someone, someone who had always been in my life…and he asked me to marry him…I’d know that I could trust my initial reaction to his proposal and know that it was how I felt.” She sighed dreamily.

No-one really knew how the time had rolled by them so fast, as they all stood around the reception room, caught up in their own discussion and thoughts. It seemed that the entire afternoon had just slipped past them without their knowledge. Things had been hectic in the house until almost half past four, when they had decided to have an early dinner, each person having been busy taking care of their own personal issues, all quietly mulling over those things through dinner, as Angelo, Dino and Julius kept up the pleasant conversation. And by half past five, once dinner was completely over the chaos had begun again, each of the four women disappearing upstairs to get ready for the party, giving the men a chance to relax for an hour before quickly changing. Seven o’clock brought the first set of guests and now that everyone had arrived, and Angelo was having to watch Paige laughing and talking with Danny and a few of his friends, with his arm around her shoulders, he knew that the time had gone by too quickly or his liking. There were so many things he could have said to Paige during that time that it felt as though he’d lost the chance to say them forever. But even if there was no hope of having her admit that she had feelings for him, did he really have to see the woman the loved in another man’s arms? It was like pouring salt on an open wound and he didn’t know if he could stomach it much longer, taking a drink of his beer as Jacob reappeared with a smile. Angelo tried to reign in his thoughts and enjoy the night as his friend came over, looking eager to tell him something. “Guess who’s here?” Jacob asked as soon as he was within reach of his friend, glad that he didn‘t have to shout over the soft Jazz music.