Chapter 55 - Sour

~~~ CHAPTER 55 - SOUR ~~~

"What?" I exclaimed shockingly.

I was just done cooking for our dinner when Nigel arrived from work. Immediately, he told me that his PI had already forwarded his findings about Dylan and Maria Stella. Facing each other and clasping our hands, we sat on stools beside the kitchen island.

"Yes, they're just not friends. They've been in a relationship for years," Nigel repeated like he also couldn't believe it.

I bit my bottom lip. What was I going to say?

"Obviously, they had really connived to get revenge from me... and the mission is to ruin you first, then me," he said gripping my hands harder, "The initial plan was to destroy me, then the company... but when you started to live with me here, they started to do research on who you are in my life. They learned you're my fiancée... and they diverted their plan. You became the subject of their interest, princess."

Oh, my God!

Trembling, I began to feel fear. Terrible fear.

"But Dylan has gone mental..." Nigel continued.

"What?"

"Yes, he's gone crazy. Three years ago, when I learned that he'd started to copy his father's acts and that he'd planned to work in the Corp after his graduation, I had him banned in the Corporate Building. Now that I learn that he has some psychological problems, Althea, it only convinces me more that I did the right thing. I didn't know he's been to a mental institution... and now, it looks like he has it again..."

"What? No wonder he appeared to be insane when I last saw him... it was because he was really insane... and he was roaming around the city in that state!"

Oh!

"But we have nothing to worry now, princess. He's been confined now back to mental hospital. You're safe now... so stop worrying about Fernandez. I was supposed to have my lawyer take care of the legal action against him for assaulting you in the bar just few weeks ago..."

Oh! Dylan Fernandez was mentally ill. How sad...

"But he is already in an asylum... I don't think you still need to do that," I said.

"Yeah, yeah... that was actually what I thought. Let's just let the institution take care of him..."

"It's so unbelievable, Nigel," I commented, shaking my head, "He had become a friend of mine and, in those times, he appeared sane. He even graduated from St. Louis. He was intelligent."

"Yeah... It's really unbelievable, princess."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Nigel and I decided to deal on the bright side of life. It was a Friday the next day and, to prepare for the opening night of the painting exhibition, he accompanied me to shopping for a dress and accessories.

"Aren't you needed in the office or in the art gallery today?" I asked him as we held hands, entering a designer store.

"My men can take care of tomorrow night's event, princess. Anyway, advertisements, invitations, and all other things related to the exhibit are already taken cared of."

"That's cool," I said excitedly. "And, by the way, I'm so excited that mom's coming tonight. Do you know that I haven't told her of the proposal yet?"

"And why is that?" he asked.

Uniformed ladies welcomed us to the store and started entertaining us.

"We're looking for a pair of shoes," I said.