8

I got off at the bus stop and walked the half block to where the Book Nook was. I went around back to the rear entrance and my timing was dead-on as Alexandria and Sheila were just exiting it, Sheila fumbling with the key in the lock. Alexandria noticed me approaching and waved.

Sheila turned to see who she was waving at and a huge Cheshire Cat grin came across her face and I grew suddenly trepidatious.

"Well, look who's here," she said, giving me a knowing nod to which I most likely blushed; how embarrassing for me.

"Well," Sheila said in upbeat announcement, "you young lad and lass look like you have plans. I won't keep either of you waiting. So long!" She carried off in the other direction and I remained confused as to whether or not she was pleased with me or was attempting to remind me of what she had said to me a previous day when I had asked about Alexandria.

I shrugged it off and turned to Alexandria, realizing I was still clutching her manuscript in my hands, the rubber bands pulled tautly over it.

She seemed fidgety suddenly, just the two of us standing at the rear entrance leading off into the alley. The sun was getting close to setting but it still provided ample light to where we were.

I caught her looking at the manuscript, without a glance up at me since she first noticed me coming. She pointed at my stickies poking out the sides.

"The hell is all that?"

"Lines and passages I bookmarked. Ones that I really liked, though it might seem a tad excessive."

"Can I have it back?"

"Oh, um, yeah, of course."

I handed it to her and she took it, cradling it almost protectively.

"Where do you wanna go?" she asked in a far more hushed tone than what I was used to around her.

I didn't fault her for being apprehensive around me. It was like I had just read her innermost thoughts and fears. Nothing that was too unique, though; it's not like she was the only one who lived terrified of the future or burdened by a past. Those things were universal. Maybe her circumstances were exclusive but that never meant another person was unable to identify with them.

I wasn't sure if I should bring up the book right away or let it be, let it work it's way into the conversation on it's own time.

We decided on a small pub just down the street and, it being a Sunday evening, made it rather almost deserted. It's tavern-like glow seemed so inviting despite it still being a reasonably warm early-May evening.

We took seats at a small table tucked away in the corner near the edge of the front window. Music played but the sound of voices was almost non-existent. I looked around to see there were people at only two other tables in the whole establishment. The waitress and bartender looked bored as they stared up at a television.

I rarely went into places like this but it seemed not a bad place to be at all. The waitress took our orders - a long island iced tea for Alexandria, a gin and tonic for me.

Alexandria gazed almost listlessly out the big window.

"I didn't know you read to the kids. But thinking about it some more, it seems so...you."

She risked a glance in my direction, maybe hoping she didn't seem too interested in what I was saying.

"You're quiet, tonight," I spoke.

She shrugged.

The manuscript sat at the edge of the table like a haggard and shy third occupant. I moved it to the center of the table.