24. Confession 2

"We've been riding for hours!" Madeline complained for what felt like the hundredth time. "Can't we stop and rest?"

"When we find a suitable spot to rest, then we will." Saenar's voice was controlled and patient. Mynera had admired his ability not to scream at her. The queen was becoming very annoying.

Madeline made a sound of impatience. "That might take ages!"

"I reckon she will rot my ear off before we reach a suitable rest spot," Barron spoke up. "Maybe we should stop to rest."

"I decide when we stop," Saenar answered him, his voice becoming much colder than it was before. "I don't take orders from you."

"It wasn't an order, m'lord. Just a suggestion."

"Neither do I accept those."

Mynera sighed. They have been at it for weeks. Everything Barron said, Saenar discredited, and anything Saenar said Barron had a witty comment, which only made the handsome prince angrier. They weren't even attempting to make peace with each other for the sake of the journey.

To make matters worse, Madeline downright hated Barron. She scorned him every chance she got and when they told her that she had to ride with him, she almost chopped Mynera's head off. It took a mountain of persuasion and pestering to get her to mount the horse behind him, since they were short one horse and Barron was the better horseman. Once she did, Barron had sent her a wink which had her jumping right back off.

Throughout that whole ordeal had Saenar staring at Mynera with eyes that screamed "I told you so!"

Now, Mynera trotted along on her horse, listening to Madeline argue with Barron after his rotten ear comment.

"Are you tired, Mynera?"

Her green eyes shifted over to Hale. "Hm? Oh, yes, quite. We've been riding since last night with no stop."

"You think we should rest soon before we fall off our horses too, don't you?"

"Of course, I do. But Saenar seems hell bent on finding the perfect spot and, frankly, I'm too tired to join the argument. Let us just hope that Madeline's complaints win through."

Hale chuckled. "But as long as Barron agrees with us resting then we might be walking forever."

"Alas, you're right. I think you should go talk to him."

"Me? Why me?"

"Well, he's obviously still very much angry at me. And Barron and Madeline are too caught up in arguing with each other to try and persuade anyone. You are the only one who stands a chance against him."

"You make him sound like a fearsome dragon."

"Yes, a fearsome dragon that breathes ice instead of fire."

Mynera stared into Saenar's back. He rode ahead of them, leading the way out of Cyrello. When she had suggested Arcadia, she had expected him to turn the idea down instantly. Instead, he had jumped right on board, agreeing with the suggestion immediately.

It was good thing he knew how to get there. So once again, he took up the leadership position.

His agreement with her plan didn't mean he wasn't not angry at her however. No, she could still feel his chill all the way back here. He was a scary man when angry, she had to admit. Her prayers went out to Hale.

Hale approached Saenar at the front. She watched them as they talked. Hale gestured with his hand but Saenar remained rigid and unmoving. Not a good sign.