36. The Duel

Their bet seemed to have stirred everyone, drawing both lycans and priestesses to the centre of the large grassy area where they trained. The lycans were a rowdy bunch, gathered in two groups: one rooting for Saenar and the other rooting for Mynera. However, the group rooting for Mynera numbered a mere two so they weren't contributing very much to the noise level that surrounded them. Mynera looked over at the two, seeing their wide grins and pumping fists and knew that they probably weren't even rooting for her because they thought she would win. They were rooting because they thought she was attractive and this might be a way to get her attention. Well, they thought wrong.

The priestesses on the other hand were entirely on Mynera's side. They were less noisy but just as excited at the prospect of a duel and so they stood with the two lycans on Mynera's side, dressed in their flowing dresses and chattering excitedly. One even shouted out to Mynera to kick Saenar's ass, much to the surprise of the guests. Not the priestesses though. The one who had spoken was well known for her rough character. Mynera laughed at her, sending her a quick wink before turning back to face Saenar. He was standing before her, his face hard and impassive. Yet she knew better. She saw the subtle click in his cheek and the slight narrowing of his eyes. He was angry, more so than she ever saw him before. Whether he was angry at the fact that she stole his sword or at everything that had happened before that, she wasn't entirely sure, although she was leaning more to the latter.

She watched him as he watched her. Even now, she could still feel her chest tighten just by looking at him. And coupled with the fact that her palms were beginning to sweat out of nervousness, that wasn't very good.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Hale asked her, coming to stand before her and blocking her view of the gorgeous prince. She looked up at him to see his blue eyes staring down at her with worry. She looked away.

"Yes, Hale, I'm sure."

"Are you really, really sure?" Madeline asked from Mynera's other side. She clasped her hands behind her and looked back and forth between Mynera and Saenar. "No offense or anything but ..."

"Don't worry," Mynera interjected. She gently pushed Hale aside and locked her eyes on to Saenar again, this time a glint of determination lighting the green. Her hand slowly reached out and took ahold of the makeshift sword Hale was holding, and she watched as Saenar accepted his. "I'm not scared of him."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Hale sighed and stepped back. "I'll jump in if he takes it too far, okay?"

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. No doubt Hale thought she had just gotten ahead of herself again and that Saenar was definitely going to win. Well, she would prove them wrong. She would prove them all wrong.

Madeline was obviously of the same opinion but she held her hands up in surrender and stepped back, giving Mynera her space. As soon as she did, a baffled Barron came up to her, inquiring about what was going on. When he heard they were going to battle it out, he didn't scoff or state that she was going to lose. He just grinned.

Mynera stepped forward and so did Saenar. Ceres walked in between them, holding up her right hand. She looked at them both before opening her mouth to speak. "Are you both ready?" she asked, her eyes shifting from one to the other. She lingered especially on Mynera.

"Yes," Mynera answered, catching the look Ceres gave her.

Ceres looked over at Saenar. He merely grunted, his glacial eyes never leaving Mynera for a second.

"Then ... begin!" Ceres jumped out of the way, revealing the space for their battle. With the sword still casually held downwards in her hand, Mynera squared herself up. She didn't move, she didn't say anything. She just watched Saenar, her eyes running from his toes to the top of his head and back, sizing up her opponent. She never saw Saenar in action before. She had absolutely no idea what his strengths were or, more importantly, what were his weaknesses. But for some reason, she felt he had no vulnerabilities. He looked formidable with his legs pushed apart and his hands gripping the sword in front of him like, pointing it upwards as a threat. Even the steel in his eye looked unbreakable.