Dating the Son of Zeus *24*

“Okay so explain this all to me one more time,” Perseus said to Sophia. I couldn’t help but smile as she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah I’m confused too,” Leonidas agreed.

“Ok the game is called baseball,” Sophia said. “There are nine positions on the field; catcher, pitcher, first base, second base, third base, shortstop, right field, center field, and left field.” Everybody watched as she pointed each position out to us on the field as we sat in our seats.

“Ok and what does each of those positions do exactly?” Penelope asked.

“Well the pitcher will throw the ball to the person that is hitting and the catcher will catch the ball as the pitcher throws it,” she explained.

“And what does everyone else do?” Leonidas asked.

“They wait for the person who is hitting to hit the ball and they catch it when he does and they try to throw him out.”

“Throw him out?” Perseus asked. “Like actually pick him up and throw him? Because that sounds like fun!”

“No, not literally throwing people! After the person hits the ball they run to first base,” she said pointing to the white bag. “If the person hits the ball and gets to first base before everyone else can throw the ball there he is safe and gets to stay. If the ball beats the hitter to the bag then he is out and he has to go sit down. Each team gets three outs per inning,” she explained.

“So how do you decide who wins?” asked Penelope.

“Well what each team is trying to do is get their players all the way around the bases and once they get to home plate, which is where the catcher is, then they get a point. At the end of the game the team with the most points wins,” she said simply.

“Well how long does a game last?” Perseus asked.

“Each game is nine innings long.”

“And how long does the hitter get to stay up there hitting?” asked Leonidas.

“Each hitter gets three strikes. When the pitcher pitches the ball there is a strike zone, and the umpire, who is behind the catcher decides if each pitch is a strike or not. A strike counts as one of three things; if the ball is thrown in the strike zone and the hitter doesn’t swing the umpire calls a strike, if the hitter swings and misses the ball, or if the hitter swings and it is a foul ball,” Sophia said breathlessly.

“Ummm, what is a foul ball?” I had to ask.

“See the white lines down there?” I nodded my head. “When the hitter hits the ball it has to stay inside those white lines to count. If it doesn’t it is considered a foul ball and it is a strike. A hitter can also hit a home run which is where he hits it so hard that it flies past that wall out there. If he does that then that is an automatic point to the team.”

“Ok so I think I got it now,” Perseus said. “Though I have to say that I think it would be more interesting if you were able to actually throw people around!”

“Agreed,” Leonidas said.

“Good, because I refuse to explain it all again,” Sophia said leaning back into her seat, ignoring Perseus’ last comment.

I laughed as I watched Perseus and Leonidas try to figure out the remaining questions that they had to each other. We had decided to skip school for the day and this is where we had ended up. Sophia had promised us we would enjoy watching a baseball game, I just don’t think it occurred to her that none of us had any idea what a baseball game was. So now here we were sitting in the rather hard and uncomfortable seats at the stadium watching the New York Yankees take on the Texas Rangers. To be honest I was extremely confused but I knew Sophia wanted to show us a good time so I put a smile on and attempted to enjoy myself. After all, I was spending time with Sophia; it didn’t get any better than that.