Dating the Son of Zeus *25*

“I don’t think it’s going to go anywhere,” I said with a chuckle as Sophia and I lay together on my bed. She held her hand above her face as she gazed at the ring I had given her with a wide smile that hadn’t gone away for the past few days. The ring twinkled as she shifted her hand underneath the light. I had to admit it was pretty; the old man at the jewelry store had spent almost an entire hour helping me to pick it out. I must have looked through a thousand rings before I saw this one. It was simple yet so perfect. It only consisted of three diamonds, one large one and two smaller ones on each side of it. As soon as I saw it I knew it was the one; just like Sophia.

“I know I just can’t believe it,” she said as she rolled on her side to face me. “I’m engaged. I’m going to be getting married! I just never thought it would happen, at least not this soon or to someone as amazing as you,” she admitted.

“Trust me the feeling is mutual,” I said. “But I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

“You aren’t nervous at all?” she asked as she propped her head up on her hand to look at me better.

“Of course I am,” I admitted. “To be perfectly honest I’m always nervous around you.”

“What? Why?” she asked.

“I just get nervous that I’m going to do something to send you running,” I said with a frown. I watched as she rolled her eyes at me.

“How many times do I have to tell you, I’m not going anywhere? There isn’t anything you could say or do that could change my mind,” she said seriously. I looked up at her as I lay on my bed. Her long ebony hair flowed down around her face. Her bright sapphire eyes glowed with warmth as she started down at me. I watched as she reached a hand out towards me and rested it on my cheek and gently stroked it with her thumb. Reaching up I grabbed her hand and brought it to my lips placing a small kiss on the inside of her wrist.

“I love you,” I said.

“I love you too,” she said. “So, we leave in a few days,” she said. Looking up at her I could see the nervous glint to her face. She was trying so hard to be brave, to not be scared, but I could see right through it. She was scared to leave this world behind, but I couldn’t blame her.

“Yeah, are you ready?” I waited as she thought about it.

“Yes, I’m ready.” I gave her a doubtful expression. “Really, I am. Yes I am nervous and I don’t particularly want to leave the place I grew up in but as long as you’ll be there I’ll be alright,” she said.

“I’ll always be there,” I said. “I know you don’t want to leave, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am. You’re giving up everything to come with me and embrace a life that you never asked to be a part of. It’s just I can’t leave you here; Hector is planning something and I can’t keep you protected here, especially while you are still mortal. Once you become a god then we won’t have to worry about Hector.”

“I’m going to become a, god?” she said slowly. I nodded my head. “I never thought about that. I mean I knew it would probably work that way but now that it’s so close to happening I have to say it’s a lot to take in.”

“Don’t worry it won’t hurt or anything,” I assured her.

“How does it happen?” she asked. I could only shake my head.

“I’ve never seen it done. My father does it, but exactly how I don’t know.” I should have told her then that she would have to pass the test, but I knew she would ask what the test was and I couldn’t stand giving her ‘I don’t knows’ as answers. I needed to talk to Penelope, perhaps she would know.