➳ Chapter Seventeen

Sherlock starts off his speech, making it painfully obvious that he's nervous. He gradually gets more relaxed and delivers his speech with elegance, later on causing everyone in the room to tear up. Your focus is perfectly centered on him as he goes into a case that he, you, and John all worked on together: The Bloody Guardsman.

"Scotland Yard. Do you have a theory?" Sherlock eventually asks Greg.

Lestrade looks taken aback but manages to answer. "W-well, if the blade was propelled through the, um, grating in the air vent, maybe a bullet or a catapult. Somebody tiny could crawl in there. So, yeah, we're looking for a dwarf."

You narrow your eyes at his absurd theory as Sherlock speaks. "Brilliant."

"Really?!" Greg says.

"No. Next."

"He stabbed himself," Tom (Molly's fiance) mumbles.

"What was that? Tom?" Sherlock questions.

Tom slowly stands from his chair. "Suicide with a blade made of compacted blood and bone. Broke after piercing his abdomen, like a meat dagger."

"A meat dagger," Sherlock states with no amusement in his voice.

"Yes," Tom says.

"Sit down," Molly whispers assertively.

"No. There was one feature and only one feature of interest in the hole of this baffling case, and quite frankly, it was the usual. John Watson. Who, while we were trying to solve the murder, instead saved a life. There are mysteries worth solving and stories worth telling. The best and bravest man I know, and on top of that, he actually knows how to do stuff. Except wedding planning and serviettes. He's rubbish at those."

The crowd laughs and you remain intrigued by the story although you've heard it before and were actually involved. There's just something about Sherlock's storytelling that engulfs you with the plot.

"The case itself remains the most ingenious and brilliantly planned murder or attempted murder I've ever had the pleasure to encounter. The perfect locked-room mystery of which I am aware. However, I'm not just here to praise John, I'm also here to embarrass him, so let's move on to some-"

"No, wait. How was it done?" Greg asks and you suddenly want to slap him.

"How was what done?" Sherlock questions.

"The stabbing."

Sherlocks sighs. "I'm afraid we don't know. We didn't solve that one, that's... It can happen sometimes. It's very, very disappointing... Embarrassment leads me on to the stag night. Course, there's hours of material here, but I've cut it down to the really good bits."

Sherlock explains their drunken night with surprising detail. The guests laugh and Sherlock finally gets to the end of his speech.

"I can solve your murder, but it takes John Watson to save your life. I should know because he's saved mine so many times and in so many ways." Sherlock pauses to hold up his phone.

"This blog is the story of two men and their, frankly, ridiculous adventures of murder, mystery, and mayhem. But from now on, there's a new story. A bigger adventure. Ladies and gentlemen, pray charge your glasses and be upstanding." Everyone stands with their glasses raised.

"Today begins the adventures of Mary Elizabeth Watson and John Hamish Watson. The two reasons why every single one of us is..."

The camera man stands in front of Sherlock and snaps a picture, causing Sherlock to stop speaking for some reason. But when you see the momentary vacancy in his eyes, you realize he's in his Mind Palace.

Sherlock drops his glass and it shatters on the floor. "-here today. Oh, sorry, I..."

"Another glass, sir?" one of the waiters asks, handing a glass to Sherlock that he takes.

Sherlock instantly shoots you an odd look that you've never seen him use. You can tell it's some sort of sign, but you don't know what, so you begin replaying the events of the evening to get information on what it could be.

"Thank you, yes. Now, where were we? Ah, yes, raising glasses and standing up. Very good, thank you. And down again." The guests sit down as Sherlock continues. "Ladies and gentlemen, people tell you not to milk a good speech. Get off early, leave them laughing. Wise advice I'll certainly try to bear in mind, but for now..."

Sherlock jumps over the table and that's when most of the events click into place. You subtly look around and begin deducing all the people in the room.

"Part two! Part-two is more action-based. I'm going to walk around, shake things up a bit. Who'd go to a wedding? That's the question. Who would bother to go to any lengths to get themselves to a wedding? Well, everyone. Wedding are great! Love a good wedding. And John's great, too. I haven't said that enough, barely scratched the surface.

"I could go on all night long about the depth and complexity of his... Jumpers and he can cook. Does a thing... thing with peas once. Might not be peas. Might not be him. But he's got a great singing voice, or somebody does. Too many, too many, too many, too many! Sorry, too many jokes about John."

You keep an eye on Sherlock as he goes to his Mind Palace again. To everyone else, he's just rambling on with his speech, but you know he's trying to sort out the information and deductions in his head. You're good at deducing, but this many people at once is nearly impossible for you.

"Where was I? Ah, yes. Speech! Speech. Let's talk about... murder. Sorry, did I say murder? I meant to say marriage. But, you know, they're... quite similar procedures, when you think about it, the participants tend to know each other and it's over when one of them is dead. In fairness, murder is a lot quicker, though."

Sherlock walks over to a guy and starts openly deducing him and you see him put his phone behind his back. Both your and Greg's phones buzz and you look down to see Sherlock needs the place locked down.

"Sherlock, is there an end date for this speech? We have to cut the cake," John says impatiently.

You and Lestrade share a look before Sherlock causes a small distraction for the two of you to sneak out and prepare for the storm that's about to hit.