Chapter Five.

Songs for this chapter are:

King (acoustic version)- Years & Years

Never Be Like You- Flume feat. Kai

Unsteady- X Ambassadors

            It's been five days since I've seen or heard from Nora. Tessa said she worked a shift with her last night, but Nora seemed distracted and barely spoke to her.

Distracted by me?

Doubtful.

            I've decided to call Nora, Sophia in my head. I didn't know Sophia, not the way I do Nora, and if I separate the two of them my life will be easier. I hate that she felt like I wasn't paying attention to her, that I ignored her for Dakota. It wasn't like that. Not intentionally. I was already in love with Dakota when I met her, I didn't know that I was supposed to be paying attention.

I didn't know her attention was mine to have. I thought of her as Sophia, the older, beautiful chef who would never give me the time of day. But now she's Nora, the stunning and mysterious friend of Tessa's who is doing a good job of making me fall for her. 

            Falling for may be too dramatic, but I've certainly been interested and very, very, attracted to her. And in turn, she's gone off on me and basically told me to fuck off. Along with her revelation about me needing to mind my own business, she told me that Dakota cheated on me, more than once.

My head still hurts at the thought and I haven't made up my mind whether I want to ask Dakota for the truth or not. Part of me thinks that Nora was just mad and in the moment, so she spewed out whatever she thought would hurt me the most. That being said, that part of me isn't big enough to ignore the fact that I have to force myself not to believe her.

            "Did you really do another load of laundry?" Tessa's voice surprises me.

            I sit the stack of towels down on the ground and turn to her. She's standing in the hallway, her lime green tie bright as ever.

"Yes. It's time I start helping more around the house. Well, apartment," I tell her.

I open the closet and she leans against the wall. She's wearing makeup today, her eyes are lined with black and her lips are shiny. It's been a while since she's worn makeup. She's beautiful without it, but today she looks a little less sad than the last few months.

            Hardin's flight lands in any minute and I'm wondering if the two are related. I thought she would be more upset, more zombie-like than usual, but it doesn't seem to be the case. She seems to be brighter, her steps lighter.

            "You help just fine. I like to clean, you know that," Tessa says.

            This little hallway closet is impossible to use for anything. The three shelves are so small and the bottom section is taken up by the vacuum and broom. I shove the towels in, hoping they won't fall before I can close the closet. They fall to the ground. I reach down and pick them up.

            "Sure," I half-heartedly agree with her.

            "Is it weird that I'm nervous? I shouldn't be nervous right?" Tessa softly asks.

            I shake my head. "No, not weird at all. I'm nervous too," I laugh, not joking at all.

I shove the towel into the closet, trying to keep them as folded as possible this time.