Chapter 10: Friends?

After three days arguing with Bella and her dad, Katnis was finally able to go back to school. 

"I really do wish you would have stayed home." Bella says as she pulled into the school lot.

Katnis groaned,"I've been stuck in that house for three days. I was going insane."

"Why didn't you have Edward over? I thought the two of you were getting closer."

"We're not friends." she says as she hopped down from out of the truck.

"What? What happened?"

Katnis shrugged, "Life." she says.

Bella went to reply to her statement but was interrupted by Mike's voice, "Hey! Look at you, huh? You're alive!" he rushed forward and pulled her into an embrace before she could take a step back.

"Yeah, I'm alive."

"How are you?" Angela, being the nice girl she is, asked.

Katnis smiled at her, "Better. I was able to get a lot of sleep."

Angela chuckled, "I bet." Lily says.

"So, Katnis. I was, uh, wondering if you'd...you know...want to go to the spring dance with me." Mike asked, rubbing the back if his neck.

Katnis glanced over at Bella, who was smirking, before meeting his gaze head on, "I can't, Mike."

His face fell,"Why not?"

"I'm going to Seattle that weekend."

"Can't you go another weekend?" he asked in a desperate tone.

Katnis shook her head, "No. I've had this planned for a while now. I don't want to reschedule it just to go to a dance I know I won't enjoy." she says, "I don't dance."

"Oh, okay."

"Maybe Bella will go with you. I don't believe she has a date." she says, causing Bella to glare at her.

"Really?" he glanced over at Bella.

"Sorry, Mike, but I'm going with her. Char- dad doesn't want her going alone."

Katnis raised a brow, "When we're you planning on telling me that Dad wanted you to babysit me?"

"He doesn't. He just wants to make sure your safe." she says, "It was me or a deputy following you around like you were the president's daughter."

Katnis rolled her eyes, "Whatever. Mike, Jessica doesn't have a date and I'm sure she would just love it if you asked her."

"You think so?"

She nods, "I know it."

He smiled, "Awesome! Bye!" he says before taking off towards the buildings entrance.

"What was that for?" Bella asked.

"Smirking at him asking me." Katnis says before walking off.

Bella rushed after her,"I was wondering what you were going to say to him. That's all." She states.

"Yeah, okay. Let's just get the day over with."

As they made their way into class, Bella glances over at Edward,"So, are you going to sit next to him or would you rather me sit beside him?" She asked her sister.

Katnis shakes her head,"No. We may not be friends but I'm not going to change my routine just to avoid jerk face."

Bella chuckles, "Okay." She says as they make their way over to their seats beside Edward who was staring at her with a relieved gaze. He hasn't seen her in three days and he was worried something was wrong. He was happy to see that she was safe and sound.