Chapter 33: A New Beginning

I. Am. So. Going. To. Crrrrrrrrrdyyyyyyyyyyyy!

After another week in the hospital, Katnis was released despite Edward's attempt to keep her admitted for just a while longer. He wanted to make sure that everything, with her, was all right. He didn't want her to get home and something happens to her.

"You should really stop worrying so much, Cullen. I'm fine," she says as she carefully climbed into bed. Even after a month, her broken arm hadn't healed and it was really bugging her. She couldn't really do much with her arm being broken. "Nothing is going to happen to me here,"

Edward had pulled back the covers as she climbed into bed then pushed them up over her body to make sure she was warm. "I'm always going to worry about you, Kantis. Always."

She frowns at him. "I wish you wouldn't. I'm not some defenseless human, Cullen," she states. "I can take care of myself."

Edward reached out and takes her hands in his, his eyes never leaving hers. "I know that and I don't doubt that you can but you have to understand that..." he moves closer to her on the bed. "...going up against someone like me isn't...it won't end well for you."

Katnis nods. She knew what he was saying was the truth. A human would be defenseless against a vampire but that didn't mean she was going to try to fight back. She would do whatever she had to in order to fight for her life.

"Cullen, can I ask you a question?"

He nods. "Anything."

"What happened with Victoria?" She watched him as he visibly stiffened at her question. He knew, at some point, that she would want to know what happened. He only wished it wasn't as soon as she was released from the hospital.

"She's gone. She's never going to be a problem for us ever again," was all he said but she wanted to know more. She wanted to know what happened after she was knocked unconscious.

"Will you tell me exactly what happened?" she asked.

He wanted to say no, that she didn't need to know the details of Victoria's death. He didn't want to think about how he almost lost her or how he was almost too late. "I'll tell you whatever you want to know," he says.

~~~~~*~~~~~

The moment he broke down the door of the warehouse his gaze instantly fell on to an unconscious Katnis. "Katnis!" he took off in her direction but before he could reach her, he was  being knocked to the ground.

"How nice of you to join our little party." Victoria hissed from above.

Glaring at her, Edward raised his knees and flipped her over him and was on his feet in a second, crouched down in front of her. "What did you do to her?" he hissed.

Victoria glances over his shoulder at Katnis slump body then smiled. "Oh, uh, a broken arm, maybe a few broken ribs. You know, the usual," she says with a smile before her lips took the shape of an O. "I almost forgot...your girlfriend tastes a lot better than she smells. I had fun using her as my chew toy." she laughs.

Blinded by rage, Edward lunges at her at the same time she does. The collide with a loud crack, like thunder, and fall to the ground.  Victoria starts grabbing and scratching at his skin like a mad woman. Edward is somehow able to flip them so that he's on top of her. He reaches down to grab her head but before he can she's flipped him over her. 

Again, they both are on their feet and running at each other but this time, Edward grabs her by her hair and flings her, like a rag doll, across the room, and through a wall. He then takes that moment to go to Katnis. "Katnis," he kneels down  to her, gently pushing her hair from her face. "Katnis, can you hear me?"