Chapter 12: The Drunk Sister

The Drunk Sister

I walk into the school, struggling to keep my eyes open.

I had the best dream ever, and I can't even remember it. All I know, is that it was a good dream.

I step into the building, immediately noticing the school staff decorating the atrium, reminding me that it's October. I make my way to the stair case and head to the second floor.

I walk over to my locker. "Opal!"

I turn my head to Bella's voice, and I find her running towards me.

Once she reaches me, she tries to catch her breath. "Can I borrow-" she takes a deep breath, "your history notebook?"

"Uh, classwork or homework?" I ask tiredly.

"Homework," she replies, and I dig through my bag, looking for my green notebook. Finally, I grab it out, and hand it to her.

"Thanks, best friend," she says, giving me a hug. "I'll give it back during home room. Love you!"

I watch her run down the hall with my notebook, and I turn back to my locker.

I reach my hand to put in my combination, when a hand slams onto my locker, keeping me from opening it.

"Look, bitch," I say tiredly, as I close my eyes and slowly turn to this piece of shit. "I'm fucking tired as hell, and I don't feel like dealing with your bull-"

My eyes widen slightly, making me forget that I'm supposed to be so freaking tired.

I find that the hand on my locker, belonged to Nathan.

And he looks really annoyed. "Why did you text me last night?" He asks harshly.

     I stare at him in shock for a few moments. I have no idea what I'm supposed to say, so I stay quiet.

     He raises his eyebrow at me, expecting me to answer.

     "It- it was just a joke," I stutter, giving him a small smile.

     "A joke?" He asks, looking at me to see if I'm actually being serious. "Opal, she told me to leave her house once I got out of the bathroom."

     Wait, what the hell am I doing? I'm Opal Rodriguez.

     I stand up straight and give him my bitch face.

"You know what, Nathan?" I ask him, looking straight into his eyes. "I don't have time to deal with your irrelevant bullshit."

I take a step closer to him, our faces inches apart. "Now walk away before I break you," I tell him quietly. "You already ruined my day."

I watch him as he slowly let's his hand drop to his side, and he walks away.

I take in a deep breath and slowly let it out, as I turn back to my locker.

~

I sit awkwardly at the table, trying to focus on my food.

Since Bella is in the library working on a project, it's just me and the boys.

"Hey, Opal," Will says. "You good? You barely touched your food."

"Not really," I mumble, glancing at Nathan for a quick moment, and then turning back to my food.

I feel someone tap my shoulder, and I turn around finding Vince. "What the hell do you want?"