Light in the Darkness

His eyes went wild. "Are you mad? They've subdued us both! There is only so much of our powers we will be able to grasp until sunrise. We'll have to wait for the dawn to break."

Rogue ran his hand over the many scars on her wrist. He inhaled sharply as he took in the damage of years of needles and abuse, wary little reminders of all she had endured.

"I'll wait here with you tonight and when Dr. Snyde comes to give you the dose, we'll attack him."

"They will notice you missing." Mercy's eyes flashed back to the door. She didn't want excuses. They had killed her sister and the only thing Mercy could see was the blinding rage and vengeance she held inside.

"No one checks on me like they do you. They don't believe me to be all powerful. I get a visitor every so often. If I react when they want, they leave me well enough alone."

"They don't believe you to be powerful?" Mercy scoffed at the admission.

"Says the man who could bend the whole building into concaving on itself if you were at full strength. And let's not forget to mention what you can do with air. You knew enough to suck out the oxygen in the fire and still leave a tiny spark to light them again."

She walked stiffly to the corner of the room that held her bunk. She couldn't worry about Lily. There was nothing she could do. She would grieve when she was home, but right now she would think of a plan to escape this prison with Rogue.

"They watch you more than you think."

Rogue halted. "It shocks me that you already know the depth of my powers without really knowing me. You're quite the logical little thinker, aren't you?" He smirked, before glancing at her with concern again.

"I removed all the cameras in my room within the first week I was here. They know they can't monitor me or get close to me." He shrugged. "I'd say they watch me as much as I think and that is very miniscule. I get one shot every week and once they've had their fun watching me rage with power, they vanish for another seven days. It's a different doctor each time, but I suspect if we're still in this disease of a building in by then, that's when they'll notice my disappearance."

Mercy glanced at the boy in front of her. His dark hair looked disheveled in the dim lighting and his eyes looked murky; whether it be from emotion or the medicine he'd been given, she wasn't sure.

Even with the dark shadows and worry lines around his face, one could easily tell he was beautiful. And if Mercy didn't have to worry about shady government officials and conspiracies, she might have found herself trying to make an impression on the boy. Of course, she wasn't accustomed to caring anymore.

It was difficult finding herself in a predicament with someone else around. She didn't mind that it doubled their strength and chance of survival. What she minded was that he was one more person to add to the list of names she could check off for having ruined their lives. This boy was the least of her problems now. She had a family to think about and a sister to mourn.

Rogue smirked at her as if he could sense the direction her thoughts had briefly turned to. He crept closer to her at a slow pace, gauging her reactions until she gave the okay.

He nodded to the ceiling above their heads. "On the sunny side of this depression, you don't have security cameras watching your every move. I don't see a single camera in here. I guess they found something in your powers that requires no security intervention." He paused.

"Did you know the FBI comes in here sometimes? They waltzed right into my room some time ago. Judging from my medication plan, I'd say it was seven or eight days ago. Apparently, they were trying to investigate the dead bodies that keep ending up on the edge of the island. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"