A Need So Deep

"I beg you," He stuttered and glanced at her with worried, but fierce eyes, "promise me that you'll get out of there alright.  Do not let them get to you or mess with your mind." 

He laughs with malice all joking aside.  "Believe me, they would relish in the fun of destroying the innocence of your mind."  Rogue shook his head, eyes weary and afraid. 

"No matter what happens, believe that you will escape."  He begged, his voice taking on a hardened edge.  

"I can't promise that, Rogue.  I can't be sure if I will make it out at all.  Besides, promises always have a way of being broken."  Mercy whispered, looking anywhere but at his eyes.

She shivered when his hand left her shoulder to caress her cheek.  A fleeting touch that held a power over Mercy.  

"Mark my words, whatever happens in there, I will find you." 

He breathed out and the air washed over her cheeks as his hand continued to smooth circles upon her cheek. 

It made her want to reassure him, to have faith that everything would go according to plan, no strings attached.

  "Promise me, Mercy."  Rogue spoke softly, his voice lighting a spark of hope inside her chest.

Mercy leaned into his hand.  The contact was a comfort; he was a comfort.  How could one person be this satisfied with only the slight interaction of another?

Her mother had told her stories when she was a child, but when she was taken away all hopes of it were lost.

There was a word for this kind of thing and it was completely silly to be thinking about it at all.  Yet, she still leaned in to the comfort and warmth of his touch.

Mercy shuddered, letting her eyes fall closed for a moment as she tried to fight the current of emotion passing through her.

  "I promise."  Her voice wavered, holding onto the hope in his eyes with a tight grip.

Rogue gazed at her in wonder as he watched the way she reacted to him and sparks lit up his eyes.

The emotion behind them was empowering and no matter what she was about to face, she would at least remember this moment; the time when a teenage male had given her hope and made her heart beat with a newfound will to keep holding on.

Rogue dipped his head slightly as he moved closer to her.  His raven black hair tickled her cheeks as his forehead pressed against hers.  She could see what he wanted in the way his body leaned in to meet hers.

The desire for the feel of his lips on hers was too much and she grew conscious of the beast within growing restless. 

Knowing her luck, Mercy would probably spew fire all over the boy.  That would be pleasant. It would definitely put an end to whatever this is. 

The circumstances were all wrong, the timing didn't match up.  They were caught in the middle of sheer trouble and yet, somehow, this boy was giving her butterflies. 

She could blame it on paranoia for what she might face once she stepped foot inside that building, but these butterflies were more than that. 

They flew in the pit of her stomach up to her heart, letting its beats grow faster and louder with each passing flap of wings.

Mercy detected Rogue's mouth hovering over hers.  She was undecided on how to address the situation. 

Mercy hadn't seen affection since the day she'd been taken.  She had long since forgotten how it felt.  But how she craved it so fiercely and passionately was no mystery.  She would desire nothing more than to have a drop of love in a world of hate.

Rogue closed his eyes, his hand gripping her cheek tightly.  Mercy's heart quickened and her mind raced with mixed emotions.  She could feel his breath caressing her face, the warmth brushing over her lips. Her eyes began to droop and she felt herself giving way for the desire to be loved to surround her.

Mercy could feel his hesitation against her lips as if the utter movement would be potentially damaging to him.  

She herself didn't know what to make of this or handle what happened next but she wanted nothing more to be given the option to find out.

Her eyes fell completely shut and she prepared herself for the slam of his soft skin against hers. All too soon the door to the car slammed open.

Mercy fell back from the sudden loss of the supporting door.  Tumbling backwards with no way of supporting herself as her arms were locked tightly in the encompassing material of the jacket.

Rogue reached out to catch her, clutching her upper arms with vehemence, and she could see the disappointment and frustration in his eyes. 

He glanced up at the person standing beside her with anger coursing through his blood.  Rogue scowled up at the figure as he pulled Mercy up so they weren't leaning over in an awkward position.  He dropped his hold when he saw that she had regained her balance.

Crossing his arms, he sneered.  "Nice timing, Earthworm."

"My pleasure, atmospheric waste." Terrance chuckled.