Call To Arms

"Mercy!" Rogue's low pitch scream woke her from her nightmares.

"Come on, Tiger. You have got to wake up." He pulled her up with him. "Your savage doctor is right outside. Prepare yourself. He'll be in here in the blink of an eye." He whispered. Rogue glanced at her worried expression.

"Are you ready for this?"

Mercy broke through the film of emotion surrounding her and her eyes glazed over with a cold look of fury.

"Completely." She lied.

Mercy wasn't ready. She could barely contain her emotions, much less fight for them. Terror shot through her veins and she trembled, but she wasn't going down without a fight. She would make it through this.

"We've only got one shot to get this right. Either we succeed, or we die trying." Rogue whispered, his voice taking on an edge of fear.

Mercy walked over to the chair and sat down, steeling herself from everything she'd felt in the last few hours. Hope, reassurance, compassion, none of it mattered in that moment. All that remained on the surface was a cold gaze and icy expression. "Hide somewhere. I don't want him to see you yet. If there's any way for us to escape, we must be careful. We need the element of surprise on our hands." She stiffened.

Rogue's hand grazed her wrist. "Are you sure you can handle him alone? I can help. I don't need to cower in the corner while you put up with his antics."

Mercy shivered as his touch, at the way it felt compared to the angry, tight grips she was used to. She nodded, though she knew Rogue wouldn't be able to see the movement in the darkness.

Mercy voiced her gesture with a reply. "I can handle this one."

They wanted a show and she would give them one. Dr. Snyde was always trying to unleash her abilities, though even he didn't know what they were. Now, Mercy was ready to show him everything and let him sink with her secrets.

Rogue pulled back his hand and Mercy heard his boots scuffling along the cement floor. He must have made his way over to the corner Mercy had pointed out earlier, because the room filled with an eerie silence again.

She began to count. One. This would all be over soon. Two. Mercy shuffled in her seat, adjusting her position. Three. She opened her eyes, focusing her gaze on the only entrance in the room.

A sharp bang sounded through the room as the door whirled open. The steel door crashed violently against the concrete walls and she heard the quiet rhythm of Dr. Snyde's feet against the flooring.

Dr. Snyde glanced around as he entered the room, his expression hardening upon finding her. His lips turned down and he growled. His gaze focused in on her freed wrists and his eyes turned murderous.

"Did they not shut the plates? Your guards were supposed to be here this morning."

He glanced back at the guard beside the door. "You'll do well to remember following orders next time."

Dr. Snyde smiled down at Mercy. "I'll have to double your punishment for their incompetence."

Mercy's scoff filled the silent chamber. "Do you really think you can contain someone you know nothing about?" She smirked, knowing he'd be more agitated if she took on an attitude. If he were riled up, it was easier to get a ruse out of him. Then maybe Mercy could escape.

"That notebook of yours holds no key to figuring out the depths of my mind. I can stop you before you ever stop me." She growled low in her throat and tilted her head.

"Are you here for more interrogation? I can help you fill a few pages right now, if you'd like? I believe that we'll both be finding out what my powers can do. All I must do is will it to happen, right, Doctor? Is that not what your manuals tell you to say? Or were you making assumptions?"

This time, Mercy chuckled. The almost frightening sound of her crazed laughter was enough to cause herself to worry. She supposed, after everything she'd been through, she could show cruelty, too. She would match Dr. Snyde at his own game.

Dr. Snyde shuffled back a step, his gaze widening at her antics. "What do we have here? The little superhuman has grown a backbone." He smiled haughtily. "You've been playing games for far too long, Mercy."

Mercy scowled and wanted to push off the chair and step up to him, but she was waiting until she saw the perfect opportunity. "No, I believe that's your job, doctor. You were always good at toying with what doesn't belong to you."

Dr. Snyde drew closer. "Only you, my dear. You see, in all the years I've managed to keep you captive here, I've only gained very basic information on what you can do.

"They claim you're superhuman and I've seen the times when you lose control and that part of you breaks free for a fraction of time. A little slip is all it takes and then your beast will come out to play. I must say I am curious to know exactly what you hide in that tragic little mind of yours, but I have yet to figure out what it is you're capable of."

"Looks like you'll be getting your wish soon."

He grinned. "I tell myself that every day and I still get no further with you." Dr. Snyde laughed. "But I don't mind giving you incentives to cooperate. I'd relish in causing you more pain." He paused. "In fact, that might be the very thing that gives me joy."

Mercy spat at him and she could see a slight tension ripple through his body. Try as he might to hide it, Dr. Snyde was afraid of her to some degree.

He didn't know what she was capable of and that meant he wasn't aware of how much damage she might be able to do to someone like him.

Mercy hissed, her lips drawing back to reveal her canines as she snarled at the man in front of her. "I assure you, sir, I'll enjoy inflicting more pain on you."