Chapter 16 - Leave None Alive

Shadowkeep

Kane considered the map before him, moving his eyes from marking to marking. This was not a common map. No, it was very different from any other map in existence. Not because of its tar-black ink, which never faded over the years, though that was certainly abnormal. Nor was it because of the map's size, for it was monstrously large, spilling over the sides of the great table. It wasn't because of the map's age. Such a document should have been tattered, its color faded with time, its surface wrinkled and creased. This one was embossed with a powerful anti-aging spell. Still, that was not the reason.

No, this map was unique because it did not simply end at the borders of Dragonwall. Dragonwall's maps, every one of them, only went as far as the boundaries around the kingdom—the Northern and Eastern Barrier Ranges, the Dragonfire Sea to the west, and the South Seas to the south. This map continued northward and eastward, well into uncharted territory, except the territory was charted, it was laid out upon the parchment in fine detail. There was no other map like it.

Kane enjoyed knowing things no one else did.

Studying the parchment, he made annotations, notes for later. Every so often he muttered to himself, "That won't do." Or, "Surely not there." He analyzed each option available, taking great care as he spanned the whole of Dragonwall.

His task was an important one. He needed hiding places for his three Dragon Stones. These locations needed to be unreachable for anyone except him, and easily accessible should he need to recover them on short notice, like when he obtained the remaining two.

He leaned over the map and made several transcriptions near a set of caves not too far east. "Yes," he decided. "This will make an excellent hiding place." High on the cliffs, the caves were unreachable, except for perhaps mountain goats, or maybe a dragon, for that was how he intended to arrive. He scanned several more places along the parchment. Two locations remained unselected, but which would he choose?

There was a knock on his door.

"Enter." He laid down his quill on the parchment, careful not to smear any of the wet ink. Gerard shuffled in, overly bent at the waist such that his nose and eyes faced the floor. How ridiculous he looked walking in such a way. Behind him marched an armored Gobelin, helm tucked under its elbow.

"My Lord," Gerard croaked. "A visitor." Even standing, the servant's posture was stooped, evidence of the many hours spent bowing and simpering...and cleaning. Yet Shadowkeep was still in ruins, full of dust and cobwebs.

Gerard stayed extra still.

He looked them both over. "You may go, Gerard, that will be all. And do take extra care when scrubbing the hall today. I saw spiders the size of my fist lurking in the shadows." The servant shuddered before backing from the room.

The Gobelin stepped forward. Gobelins were short—this one did not quite reach his chest. Its sinewy muscles made up for its lack of height. "Greetings, Your Malevolence. I bring word from Supreme Leader Tazak." The Gobelin's accent was harsh and guttural.

"Good. I will hear it."

"Supreme Leader Tazak wishes Unka to tell Your Malevolence—troops are assembled as requested. March from Pavv into Eastern Barrier Range will begin immediately. In mean time, Unka and Unka's men sent as gift of good will. May alliance be strong and last long." Unka brought his fist to his chest in a powerful gesture of respect.

"Yours is welcome news, Unka."

The gods only knew he'd had little of that as of late.

Unka was one of few Gobelins who spoke the common language. This pleased him. Better still, Tazak's troops were assembled in the Eastern Range, ready to march. The Gobelin king had hundreds of thousands under his command. "How many follow you, Unka of Pavv?"