Chapter 57 - Blocking the Voices

Kastali Dun

Claire watched Reyr pace back and forth, muttering. Rather than stop him, she took another opportunity to admire her surroundings. The large chamber she found herself in was one of three allotted to her. The large sitting room was opulent, with plush couches and oversized arm chairs, little end tables topped with flower vases, a dining area, and a marble fireplace. At its back stood a wall of glass windows and doors that opened outward to a terraced balcony overlooking the sea.

A second chamber adjoined the first through a wide set of double doors and housed sleeping accommodations in the form of a giant four-poster bed outfitted with cream and gold fabric hangings. Like the first, this room had elegant, hand-crafted wooden furniture upholstered with matching material. Its large walk-in closet was empty. Yet, the space was capable of holding more gowns than she could ever possibly count.

At the back of the bedroom stood another set of double doors leading to the final chamber. A bathroom of marble and pearlescent tile. Not only was there a private pit toilet, but her own bathing pool. It was heated like all the other bathing pools in the keep, with water that circulated, pushing out the dirty and pulling in the clean.

A loud knock forced Reyr's pacing to a halt. She stood to answer the door but he beat her to it, motioning for her to sit. Scowling at his newfound bossiness, she followed orders.

"Claire's dinner, m'lord," said the servant. She recognized Sarah's voice. Why hadn't Desaree come? Since that afternoon, she'd tried to visit Desaree to make sure she was okay, only to have Reyr forbid it.

Reyr sent Sarah away without permitting her entry and entered the room with their dinner. "I imagine you're hungry," he said. She nodded. Hungry was an understatement after the events that transpired.

After serving herself and scarfing down a few bites, she broke their silence. "I want to go see Desaree tonight—I want to go check on her."

Reyr frowned. "We've been through this, Claire. King Talon says you are to remain out of sight for the next few days until this whole debacle blows over, until he can inform the council and court of your new position."

She ground her teeth together. "I don't like being a prisoner. I don't like being cooped up."

"Cooped up? Gods, Claire. You have one of the largest accommodations in the keep!" He spread his arms wide. He was right, it was the size of a large hotel suite.

"You know what I mean," she grumbled.

"You're worried about Desaree, I understand. Verath informed me that she is fine. Shaken up, but fine." He grabbed his goblet and leaned back to watch her. His food went untouched. "Besides, I thought you wanted to spend tonight practicing. You want to block the Drengr voices, do you not?"

"You're mad that I didn't tell the king about my ability, aren't you." Perhaps that was why he was so tense.

The creases in his forehead immediately disappeared. "What makes you think that?"

She rolled her eyes. "I know you. And besides, I told you that I would tell him. Just not yet." She sighed. "Look, I do want to practice tonight, if you're willing to help me."

"Good. Finish your food and we will get started."

"You know, you've gotten pretty bossy lately." She crossed her arms and pretended to glare at him. "Like this whole not letting me leave my room business."

"Claire, I am only following orders. I know you do not like being bossed around, especially by King Talon. Please do not treat me like the enemy."

She regarded him for several moments before exhaling. "Sorry," she mumbled, pushing the remainder of her food around with a fork. "It's been a really long day."