Chapter 50 - Queen Isabella's Price

Fort Squall

Tamara stood fidgeting in front of Lord Davi's door. She lifted her hand several times before conjuring enough courage to knock. "You may enter," a muffled voice called from within. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door.

Emmy greeted her with a warm smile. "Follow me, dear." She was ushered through several rooms to a large oak table. They both took a seat at the end, with Emmy at the head.

The fort leader's mate folded her delicate hands. She wore a plain silver band on her right forefinger. Upon her left wrist was a pattern of vines, etched into her skin like scars. Tamara had seen this before on other Riders.

Emmy's voice brought her eyes up. "This is Fort Squall's council chamber. You will come to know it well. Davi conducts all his formal affairs here. I thought it would be adequate for our lessons."

She looked around the room. It was fairly plain—not ornate like the council chambers at Redport. There were large windows along the west-facing wall. She saw the sea, sparkling with its dark blue waters. Ships traveled to and from the port at Squall's End, sails unfurled. A few Drengr swooped back and forth through the air, training with their Riders. She suppressed a pang of jealousy and looked away.

Her circumstances were unusual. When mates were recognized, a ceremony was held and their bond solidified. Following this, formal lessons commenced, training the Rider in areas of magic, politics, combat, and flying. Since she could not yet seal her bond with Byron, typical rules did not apply.

"I know your situation is different compared to most," Emmy said, as if reading her thoughts. "Davi and I have agreed that until you are ready, you will receive lessons from me exclusively." Emmy appeared pleased about this. "You and I will discuss politics, history, the structure of the Drengr monarchy, and anything else that may benefit you. I encourage you to ask questions and learn as much as you can."

"No magic?"

Emmy's smile was kind. "Not yet, dear. A Rider's ability to do magic comes from being mated to a Drengr. But you are not yet mated."

She sighed. "I wish we could be. I am sure my womanhood will come soon."

"My sweet girl, be careful what you wish for." Emmy leaned back in her chair and regarded her with twinkling eyes.

"What do you mean, Lady Emmy?"

"Please, Emmy will do. And what I mean is, enjoy this time. Once your womanhood is upon you, I assure you, you will not be so eager for it. And believe me, you will be stuck with it for a while."

"A while?" The woman made it sound like a plague, like some kind of unfortunate sickness. She swallowed. "How long is a while?"

"You must contend with it until you bear a child. After that, it will depart you and you will be glad of it."

Her eyes widened. Childbirth? Hadn't she escaped her responsibilities to avoid becoming someone's broodmare? Emmy's words frightened her. Left her feeling panicked. Would she be required to bear children for Byron? What might that be like? She adored her mate-to-be, so perhaps for Byron, she could manage. Still, it was hardly something she wanted to consider at the present.

Emmy's voice was patient. "For your sake, dear, I hope that your child does not wait too long. The sooner the better, we Riders often say. But rest assured it will depart."

"It simply leaves after childbirth?"

"Well yes, because you will only bear one child. You have no need of it afterward."

She blinked in confusion. "Only one? My mother had my brothers and me."

"Your mother was not a Rider. You can thank Queen Isabella if you like, for depriving us of the joy of multiple children. She paid the price for her misjudgment."