19| Lemon Icebox Pie

As soon as Gage saw what was in my hand his eyes widened slightly but he said nothing

As soon as Gage saw what was in my hand his eyes widened slightly but he said nothing. I guess I was just in the questioning mood tonight because after I couldn't stand the silence I asked, "Are you really going to leave the bakery?" although I wasn't sure if I wanted the answer.

He took another moment before he finally opened his mouth to say, "I'm planning on it."

"But why?" I took another step forward.

"Is it really not that obvious? You heard what's going on in my life. I am toxic, Katy."

"That's not what I heard. I heard that Sparrow and his stupid organization were toxic. Not you."

"But I'm a part of all that," he ran his fingers through his hair exasperatedly. "As much as I hate it, they run my life. And when something doesn't go the way they planned, they hurt the people I care about. You saw it firsthand tonight."

The sound of glass breaking was still fresh on my mind, but for some reason, it didn't have the same effect on me as it did earlier. That wasn't half as scary as Gage leaving.

"So you're going to run?" I challenged.

"I'm going to keep you safe."

"By leaving."

"If that's what it takes."

I looked at him evenly with my arms crossed trying not to let my anger get the best of me, but a fragment of it slipped out when I took his notice and ripped it in half letting it drop to the floor. He jumped up from the couch.

"What are you doing?!"

"I'm denying your notice."

"You can't do that!" he picked up the torn pieces and placed them on a nearby table. "It's not something that requires your permission, it's a fact."

"Regardless I won't let you do this," I spoke with defiance. "I may be a kind person but I won't let something like this happen without me fighting for it."

"Katy, you are fighting a losing battle. Why can't you see that me leaving is a good thing? When something bad happens to me, you won't have to suffer the consequences anymore."

"Did you not hear anything I said earlier? I am by your side in this--"

"And I really appreciate you wanting to be there for me, really, but that doesn't change anything. I've made up my mind."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Well, you're making the wrong decision."

"I'm not--"