Bonus Scene: The Promise

It was around eleven when I was awoken by the noise of someone pounding at my door

It was around eleven when I was awoken by the noise of someone pounding at my door. At first I was terrified that it might be Sparrow to come back for me or worse, but when I looked through my peephole and saw Jason I was more confused than anything. Still I opened my door.

When he saw me he flashed a smile. "Cupcake girl. Hi again. Is this your idiot?"

He maneuvered something around to view until I realized who it was. My eyes widened at the sight of Gage hanging limply by Jason's side, his face a bloody mess, and his fists bruised up. My heart felt like it stopped.

"Oh my God!" I held the door open wider for him to step through. "Please, come in. Just place him in my room."

"Which is?"

"Back here," I lead the way hurriedly. Before Jason reached my room I threw aside a few clothing items and pulled back my bedding for him to lay Gage in. "Fudge muffins, he looks bad."

Jason frowned. "I thought you liked him?"

I was about to say something that wasn't so mannerable when I heard Gage groan, "Katy . . ." and immediately I was by his side.

"I'm here," I was about to take his hand but thought better of it when I noticed it was more bruised up than I thought. I turned to Jason who wore a scowl. "What happened?"

"Oh," he immediately looked awkward. "Well, umm . . . we were . . . training together again at the gym . . . late at night . . . on a Wednesday--"

"I already know about the underground boxing," I waved him off as I went to grab a rag from my bathroom and wet it.

From there I heard him call out, "You do?"

"Yes," I wrung out the rag a few times before coming back to my room to see a confused looking Jason.

"That's . . . not good."

"I don't care. What happened to Gage?" I pressed the rag gently to his temple and he winced. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"Well, umm . . . how much do you know about all of this?"

"All of it."

"Even worse," he sighed. "But that's not my problem. Gage won his match tonight but came across some issues with the guy after the match. He just couldn't seem to let go of the fact  that he lost and so took it out on Gage while we went back to my truck," he looked down at Gage on my bed with a frown. "I tried to take him to the hospital because he looked pretty bad but the idiot kept saying he had to come here for some reason."

My lips went to a straight line as I cleaned away the blood on Gage's face. I didn't want to tell Jason the real reason why, not that he needs to know. I listened as he continued his story while I worked on Gage's neck.

"He was adament about it. Never seen him so sure about something before. So I brought him here and figured you would know why."

"I do. Thank you," I looked down at my bloody rag and sighed. "I'm going to need another one."