The Sparrow's Rise & Fall

Hello, loves. As some of you might know, this piece was featured in @KellyAnneBlount's Summer Block party a few weeks ago! Woohoo! I was super excited to present it to everyone but noticed a little too late, I had a ton of errors sprinkled in it. Therefore, I have tweaked it some and tried to edit it better for you all to enjoy (I even added new stuff). So some of you may see new content. For those who haven't seen it at all, it may be completely new! Regardless, I hope you enjoy it all the same. Know that I miss you all so much and look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon one day.

I should probably feel guilty for the sins I've committed

I should probably feel guilty for the sins I've committed. It occurred to me at least once that the road I was on would not lead me to salvation. The drugs, the money, the killings, it was not praised in society; especially for someone as young as myself. But the second I had this reflection, I looked down at the naked redhead draped across my lap and thought, "Fuck it."

I was not a good man. But I never claimed to be one.

A monster, she and many others called me. It was easy to place that sort of label on someone such as myself. After a while, it stopped being an insult and more of a factual statement. But if I really thought back to it, life wasn't always this way. I wasn't always this way. Pinpointing exactly where everything took a left turn was difficult to say, but in truth, I'm not sure I was ever destined to go a different path.

+ + +

"I have good news for you, Holden," Mum informed as she pulled the hot loaves of bread from the oven. "You will be going to a different school in a few weeks."

As soon as the words left her mouth, I paused my reading to look up from my book. "I am?"

"Yes, darling."   

"What for?"

"It's more suited to your education level." She nodded to The Odyssey in my hand. A book I considered to be light reading. Something else entirely to her. "You won't have to feel like you are wasting your time in class anymore."

I gripped the edges of my book tightly. "But I like my school."

"I know, darling. But your father believes that this school will be even better."