Chapter 13: In which I See Him

I clipped the blue tooth onto my ear

"Lizzy," I said hesitantly at first, "can you hear me?"

"LOUD AND CLEAR!" Lizzy shouted from the other end. I winced at the high volume.
I could hear Jane in the background, "Lizzy, you don't have to shout, she can hear you," she said.

"I can hear you, Lizzy," I said, confirming what Jane said.

"HAS THE DOVE FLOWN THE NEST? I REPEAT HAS THE DOVE FLOWN-"

"LIZZY YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT!" I yelled at her. Some people jumped away from me and cast a worried glance at the girl who was talking to the ice sculpture, before walking quickly away.

"SORRY I'M NOT USE TO THIS," Lizzy shouted.

I gave a soft groan. Would I be able to hear by the end of this night?

"BY THE WAY GIRL YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL," Lizzy shouted.

"Thank you, Lizzy," I said in a normal voice, trying to emphasize that it was a good idea to talk in the same tone.

"I LOVE THE DRESS, IT'S BETTER THAN WHAT YOU DESCRIBED," Lizzy shouted back.

I took the earpiece out of my ear and rubbed my forehead. This wasn't going to work.

I heard muffled noises coming from the device and reluctantly put it back on.

"Sorry, Fayette this is Jane," I gave a sigh of relief in my head. "What happened to Lizzy," I asked, deciding to be polite.

"She said you were too loud and it was giving her a headache," Jane replied.

The wing to one of the ice sculptures snapped off. I looked down in surprise to find the melting piece in my hand. Looking around cautiously to make sure no one saw it, I put the broken piece on the back of the swan and walked slowly away.

"I saw that," Jane noted.

"No you didn't," I said.

I walked around the Ballroom.

People were mingling- the clock almost about to hit nine.

The Queens maids who had helped me with my dress, hair, and makeup had gushed over every detail, from my waist to my hair, to my eyes and finally down to my toes.

They were nice ladies, but the endless praise had made me uncomfortable.

The process though had been life-changing.

Never had I had someone brush my hair the way they did, or help me with makeup. Never had I had someone gush over me as those women did.

I never had that someone who hugged me wishing me good luck, as if I was leaving for something as simple as a high school dance.

"Don't cry now Fayette," One of the maids, Maize, had said to me.

I hiccuped with the effort of holding in my sobs.