Chapter 15: In Which We Talk

If I am worth anything later I am worth something now, 

for wheat is wheat, 

even if people think it is grass in the beginning. 

-Vincent Van Gogh

I can't really remember what happened

I can't really remember what happened. Almost as if I was in a drunken stupor without a drop of wine having reached my lips.

The haze that clouded me after he touched my hand, descended so rapidly that I could hardly think of what to do, what to say.

I tried to shove off the thick cloud that intoxicated me.

But to no avail.

I stayed in my sober drunken state.

It might have been the music. Maybe the lights. The thrill of it all or the whirling events that were coming into my mind. But every time I look back, I cant see clearly what happened in those minutes. I can only see flashes. 

A pounding heart.

A touch of a hand.

Stokes of light dancing above.

Muffled music.

His scent.

His eyes.

His voice.

His hands.

Him.

When the spell that was cast finally came over me, I was in a garden. Outside of the palace. Away from the noise, dancing, and music.

We were sitting on a bench.

The night sky was above us, and the garden grounds were bare. 

Only the trickle of a fountain, hidden behind a hedge could be heard.

I turned to him and started to chant in my head to remember to breathe.

Breath Fayette

The Prince was staring off into the direction of where the noise of the fountain was. His eyes darted toward me, then quickly went back to their aimless stare.

I started when I realized that this whole time I had done nothing but stare at him.

"Ummm...." I shifted in my seat. It wasn't awkward per say. I just didn't know what to say to him.

"You looked faint," He said.

"Thank you," I mumbled. I connected the dots that me looking faint was the reason why we were out here.

"I didn't um..." The prince suddenly looked agitated, his hands twitching a little before he shoved them in his pockets. 

He took a deep breath and suddenly was composed.