Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

For the rest of her Thursday, Emma immersed herself in the work that Mr. Grey threw at her.  She didn't try to hide her obvious efforts to overcompensate on every request.  She quickly typed her handwritten notes and organized the information by topic, highlighting the action items that Mr. Grey would need to focus on.  She worked on several memos to the staff, emailed, faxed and copied until her fingers ached, and then drove across the city to hand-deliver a notice to the paper's largest advertiser. 

After staying an extra hour at the paper and finally driving home – again, Emma was ready to change into sweats and crawl into bed.  Her roommate was in the kitchen and intervened when Emma tried to head down the hall.

"Whoa, Em.  You don't look so hot.  What happened today?  I thought your day was set to be an easy one," Taylor said, as she moved around the breakfast bar.  Her black hair was pulled back in a sleek pony tail, and she looked just as comfortable now as she did this morning, in her faded blue jeans and black tee.

"I was wrong," Emma replied, not ready to hash out the details until she got out of her pointed heels.

"Well, forget cooking.  I couldn't find anything good in here anyway," she said, slamming a cabinet door.  "Let's head to happy hour for tacos and a drink."

"Uh...," Emma considered, but couldn't find a plausible excuse. "You're right. Let me change first."

***

While Emma wasn't lounging in sweats, she has to admit that jeans and a margarita were just as soothing.  Emma and Taylor sat at a high-top, surrounded by music, chatter and greasy Mexican food.  Maybe I could make it through another today, Emma thought, and let out a deep sigh.

"Start from the top," Taylor demanded.

Emma began with the life-flashed-before-my-eyes story that ultimately affected and destroyed her morning.  She made it through the tripping-in-front-of-everyone tale, and was trying to explain the most uncomfortable part of her day that was induced by a simple touch.

"Wait! Senator Grant Michaels?" Taylor blurted, with her brown eyes wide.

"Well, I think he's running for the seat or something.  They discussed editorial endorsements for the campaign in today's conference and..."

"Don't you read the news?"  Taylor interrupted, rolling her eyes.  "Michaels is already a New York Senator.  Their family owns half the city, and I heard he ran one of the larger companies before jumping into politics a couple years ago."

"So, the endorsement..." Emma started, frowning in confusion.

"That's for November's United States Senate race."

The gears started turning again in Emma's head.  That made more sense: his demeanor, the clothes, his authority.  But the U.S. race?

"He's so young!" Emma shared her confusion.

"Did you look at him?  Who wouldn't vote for that?" Taylor said with a large grin.

"I guess." 

"Wait.  He got to you didn't he?  He definitely has a reputation with ladies." Taylor shared, with a smug look on her face.

Emma sighed.  "No, it was just an unnerving moment.  Crowded elevator, with him in my space... Just not what you'd expect from your boss," she tried to explain, without revealing too much.

"Makes sense," Taylor knew better and dropped her questioning.  "That guy's rep has been heading in the wrong direction this year.  And even though he's still considered a front-runner, he's starting to drop in the polls.  I guess at some point it doesn't matter how hot he is, if he's a player."

The girls laughed and sipped on their second margaritas. "As long as I still have a job when he loses," Emma decided, as a buzz warmed her middle.