Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

Emma and Taylor finished their girls’ night with dollar tacos and a third round of drinks, compliments from a table of loud, but sexy men watching baseball in the back of the restaurant.  Other than a slight hangover, Friday was uneventful, and Emma had never been so thankful.  She arrived at the Herald early, and even was able to assist crabby Mr. Gray with a computer emergency. 

That night, Emma helped Taylor with her hair, so she could transform her simple look into radiance for a first date.  David from the sales department of OZI Inc. asked Taylor out during a break in the lounge earlier in the week. 

“I hate you,” Taylor said flatly. 

“That hurts,” she replied.  “I could leave you looking like this.”

“No way.  I know you have to finish what you start.  Try to make me as sexy as you,” her roommate laughed.  “So, was today better?  Did you see Senator Hunk?”

Emma yanked the lock of hair she was working with, until Taylor shouted, “Aaa-ow!”

“That’s a no.  Even if he does come every day, I hid in my closet for nearly the full eight hours.”

Emma promised Taylor for the second time she’d be fine to spend Friday night alone.  Fridays were normally movie night, but Emma was actually looking forward to some quiet time after the turmoil from the new job.

“Get out of here!” Emma shooed the two out the door after a timid dark-haired David, with black-rimmed glasses, arrived and was introduced. 

After consuming an entire bag of popcorn and a large glass of white wine, Emma curled up to finish her romantic comedy. 

Even alone, she had to admit it was worlds away from the way she spent most Friday nights a few short months ago.  Either she sat on her couch, dressed and waiting for the boyfriend who neglected their plans.  Or, she spent the whole evening trying to avoid being groped while watching his choice of film.  Why she thought that was better than being single, she’ll never know.

Midway into a tragic sci-fi, she fell asleep on the couch, content with the peace, but with a sting of jealousy for her paired-up roommate.

***

Emma woke to her cell phone vibrating around on the coffee table, as sunlight peeked through the blinds early Saturday morning.  At the moment, only Taylor and the Herald knew her number, so she was hesitant to answer.  She forced herself to brush off the anxiety she sensed each time an unfamiliar number came through and picked up her cell. 

“Hello?”

“Emma! Richard Gray here. Do you know how to use a camera?”

Emma had to hold the phone away from her ear to soften the booming voice.

“A cam-. Yes, uh, I can take pictures. What’s wrong, Mr. Gray?”  Emma had taken several photo journalism courses at Fort Valley State University and took her own photos when she wrote for the college paper. 

“Our lead photographer is out on maternity leave, and the back-up was a no-show at today’s morning meeting,” Mr. Gray barked. “Can you help Marty at an event this evening by taking a few candids?”

This was it!  It wasn’t writing, but it was more than filing ancient archives in the basement, Emma determined.

“Sure.  It’s not a problem, Mr. Gray.”

“Great!  I’ll email you the details,” and he hung up.                                                                   

***

Since she was already up, Emma spent the morning scrubbing the kitchen and bathroom.  Taylor knew Emma couldn’t contribute much to their living expenses yet, so she felt obligated to help out in other ways.  One look at Taylor’s bedroom would prove that was a wise arrangement. 

She was on a chair, dusting the bookshelves in the living room when Taylor came through the front door, wearing last night’s dress.  She smiled sheepishly as Emma rolled her eyes. 

That evening, as Emma got ready for her evening, Taylor lay on her bed and watched.  In her view, Taylor was returning Friday night’s favor by helping Emma, but they both knew her casual fashion sense wouldn’t do for tonight’s charity auction.  With her hair in curlers, she applied a smoky eye and learned the steamy details of her friend’s evening.

“Are you going to see him again?” Emma asked.

“Maybe.  I took off pretty quickly this morning, so we could avoid that awkward talk on where we go from here,” Taylor admitted.  She wasn’t one to hold onto a relationship.  “But when he wasn’t talking about overdue invoices and accounts payable, it was a good night.”

Emma laughed and shook her head. “When he calls, answer it.”

At five-thirty, Emma slid into Taylor’s Prius and the headed downtown to the Independence Inn.  It was wisest to leave the parking in the area to those familiar with the shadowed streets and garages, so Emma appreciated the ride and offered to make Sunday breakfast in return.  Only fair.

Once inside the oversized room, she mentally patted herself on the back for the choice of dress. With Taylor’s approval, she selected a navy sleeveless dress that hugged her slim curves and hit above her knees.  Classy but reserved.  Paired with her loose, shiny brown curls and glossed lips, Emma would turn more than a few heads – though she’d never admit it. 

With a large chandelier overhead, large paintings splayed across the walls and abstract statues adorning strategically placed columns, the crowd was growing by the minute.  Local artists donated their works to be silently auctioned off tonight.  Impatient, wealthy businessmen with glamorous trophies on their arms were filing into the space as they shook hands with others who were eager to spend money and take off.  The auction was for a good cause, but Emma assumed that didn’t matter.  The upper class had an obligation to give, and the causes and venues had probably become monotonous. 

Wouldn’t that be nice?

Thankfully, Emma quickly spotted Marty in the corner.  He wasn’t difficult to identify with his splash of red hair and the small yellow notebook in his hand. 

“Ready to do this?” Emma asked as she drew closer.

“Hey! Emma, right?  Thanks for coming on short notice.  Hopefully this won’t take long,” Marty replied, as he scanned the room and handed Emma a bulky digital camera.

“Yes, but no problem at all.  Really,” Emma added when Marty raised his brow. “I’m more interested in this line of work than being an assistant, but I’ll take what I can.  Oh!  I’m sorry to put you out, Marty, but would you mind giving me a lift when this is over?  My friend dropped me off. ”

“Course.  It’s the least I can do, with you helping me here.”

The pair spent the next hour interviewing guests, learning about the different artwork and capturing it all on film.  After they chatted with the short dark-haired hostess of the event, the gracious woman excused herself and stepped onto a small podium to announce the results of the annual auction, with proceeds all being donated to the local children’s hospital. 

“I see you still have a job, Miss Rosen,” Emma heard from behind, as angry butterflies smarmed her middle.