PART 12, AUTHOR'S NOTE - 2/21/15, 6:47pm

I hate him.

I didn't think it was possible to hate somebody this much. I mean, I really hate him. I know I just wrote all that stuff about Ashley wanting to save people's lives even when they deserve to die, but I'm not as good of a person as Ashley. I really wish the cop were dead.

The minute I posted that last section, I pounded on the bedroom door and called out to the cop that I'd finished Part 12.

Then I opened the window and called out to Kyle. It was completely dark outside. It had started to drizzle at dusk, but now an icy rain was steadily falling.

Kyle didn't answer.

I called out again, trying to keep the rising panic out of my voice.

Finally, Kyle's voice came through the darkness and falling rain.

It was so faint that I could barely make it out at all. But it was Kyle. He was still alive and conscious.

"Bailey . . ." His voice trembled as he struggled to form words. ". . . I'm really . . . cold."

I called out that I'd just finished writing the last part, and that I'd told the cop, and that he should arrive any minute to take him back inside.

For a long time there was no response. And there was still no sign of the cop.

"Kyle!" I called out. This time I totally failed to conceal the frantic note in my voice.

Kyle said nothing. Another minute passed.

"Bailey," he said finally. Even weaker than before. "I . . . love you."

I screamed out the window as loudly as I could that I loved him too.

"No matter . . . what . . . happens," he struggled to say, ". . . I don't . . . regret . . . anything."

I started to cry.

A banging came at my door. It was the cop.

"Do you think I'm stupid, Bailey?" He pounded on the door angrily a few more times. "You and I both know you're not finished. You owe me a FULL part. Don't even try to pull this on me. You have not posted a full part yet! Not even close."

It's true that Part 12 is supposed to include Ashley and everyone trying to reach a big city. It isn't supposed to end until they at least attempt to treat as many positives as possible with her dad's TGVx.

But this was ridiculous. Kyle was dying. I'd figured the cop would be at least a little compassionate and accept a version of Part 12 that was maybe a little shorter than the others.

"I have finished," I screamed through my tears. I banged weakly on the door. "I promise, Part 12 is done!" I lied. "Just bring Kyle inside. You're killing him. Please!"

"Bailey." The cop was icily calm. "Get back to work. Kyle's waiting for you. You're wasting time."

I could hear him flicking a lighter threateningly.

I hate him.