*Chapter Ten*

Anna

I'm standing at the hotel check-in desk with Tyler and Marlene. Thankfully the flight to London was quick and uneventful, just the way I like it. Even though I have to admit that even long flights are a lot more endurable when you fly first class or take a private plane. Luckily I've had the privilege of doing both since meeting Tyler.

"Marlene, would you mind taking Anna out for dinner tonight? I still have that business meeting, remember?" Tyler says and gives Marlene a meaningful look.

"Yes, of course." She replies right away, sounding a little bit like a robot.

I've gotten to know Marlene very well over the past few years, and we've grown quite close too, despite the age difference. So it's pretty obvious to me that the two of them are hiding something, and to be honest, it makes me a bit uncomfortable and nervous.

"I'm sure we can find something good around here." Marlene says. I can tell she's trying to look normal even though she's failing miserably.

Tyler leans in to give me a quick kiss on the lips.

"You're leaving right now?" I ask him surprised. "You're not even coming up to the room first?"

He looks at his watch and shakes his head. "I'm sorry babe, but I'm already cutting it short as it is. I'll be back in a little bit, OK? I promise." One more quick kiss on the cheek, and he's gone. I watch the retreating back of his pulled up hoodie, until Marlene touches my arm. She looks a bit uneasy. If my feeling about them keeping something from me is correct, she really should be.

"Why don't we bring all of our stuff upstairs, freshen up, and then go have a nice meal?" She looks at me expectantly, probably hoping I won't ask her any questions about Tyler.

"Sure. But first I want to know what you two are hiding from me." I stare at her, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"What?" Her voice comes out in a high squeak.

I pull her a little bit to the side, making sure no one can hear us. "I know exactly you two are hiding something from me." I point a finger at her, and her eyes go as wide as saucers.

She gives me a pleading look, but I won't fall for it. "Spill."

"I can't, Anna. I'm really sorry, but I promised not to say a word." She looks guilty now, and I'm glad she does. She should feel remorseful.

"Damn it." I mutter so loudly, that a few heads turn our way. "Just give me something Marlene, I'm begging you. I thought all along that he was hiding something from me, but after this scene just now with the obvious lie, I'm just getting all anxious." My stomach clenches painfully for a second, as if to agree with me.

"No, Anna, no. Don't think anything bad. I really can't tell you what it is. I promise you though that it's nothing bad." She puts both of her hands on my shoulders and pulls me in for a hug. Then she whispers in my ear, "There is nothing to worry about, you know how much he loves you."

I let out a long frustrated sigh and pull out of her embrace. "I still don't like it. Let's just go out and eat, and I'll call it a night."

We walk together to the bank of elevators, and I'm really hoping that Marlene is right. I know I won't be able to let go of the anxiety until I know exactly what's going on.

Looks like it's going to be a long night.

*****

Can we trust Marlene?????🙈

We'll get to the interesting stuff in the next two chapters. All will be revealed, no worries. 😉

Please don't forget to vote and comment! ❤❤❤