The Separation of the Brothers

The Battle of The Five Armies

- 1 -

The Separation of The Brothers

The sunset this evening had never felt so bitter. As the evil grew closer, our hope grew thinner and our tears fell quicker down our marshy cheeks. The sun peeked through the chipped bricks as it took its last breath before the world plunged into darkness. The rows of anxious dwarves were nothing compared to the great armies of orcs that were heading for us. We stood alone, after Thorin had pushed away every ally we knew over his gold we were left defenceless. Something dark has grown inside of him, and it wasn't just hatred for the elves this time. I, Kili and my brother Fili had noticed this ever since we entered Erebor but we dared to say a thing. I looked over to my brother who stood in front by Thorin. He wistfully smiled back with a tear in his eye. I was pulled out from my own thoughts by the sound of footsteps growing stronger. I looked over again to Fili worried but he was hidden behind a few towering dwarves. Fili was asked by Thorin to fight alongside him personally, whereas Thorin wanted me to stay out of the fight as long as I could.

The dark clouds were brewing a great storm and it soon begun to rain. I took an tailed arrow from my leather pouch that sat on my back. I bared a thick chain vest, steel plates rested on each shoulder and knee. It was crafted by the ancient dwarves when Thror ruled under the mountain. It was handmade with threads of silver and mithril, unbreakable even to the sharpest of blades.

The dwarves marched forward to face the enemy but I too lost in my thoughts. I only realised we were moving until I was on my knees scavenging for my arrows that Thorin gave me. The loud screams of the orcs burrowed into my ears and made it hard for the to concentrate. I was knocked again by a few other dwarves into the knee-high mud. It blocked my vision for a short while and I had to sweep it away with my rough hands. Within seconds I realised that there was no hope for that arrow and stood up drenched in mud. Before I had a chance to think an Orc grabbed me and threw me to the ground. On the floor there were dead bodies already and I wasn't going to join them. I looked over to my right to see a sword just out of my reach. The only thing that was close enough was a blunt rock, barley sharp enough to cut butter. I quickly grabbed it and threw it at the mutated orcs head, but that didn't do a thing. I rose from the blood painted ground and grabbed my set of arrows almost a metre away. My bow was gone, and so was my sword. So I seized the arrow and planted it between the orcs two eyes.

"Fili!" I yelled, my eyes darting around the bloody battlefield. "Where are you?" He would have been by Thorin but I couldn't see him either. I turned to see a few dwarves running to a selected area. I brushed past them to see what the fuss was about. My eyes swelled with tears as I couldn't believe what I saw. Crying with anguish I fell to the floor, falling on my nimble knees before crawling towards my lifeless Brother. I cradled his delicate head in my arms. I leant over his body my lips moved but I couldn't find the words to say. I didn't understand, I felt as if a part of my soul had be teared out and I was being punished. The arrow I lost earlier was drove through his heart and his knees were covered in thick bruises and slashes. My hand moved towards his heart where the arrow lay.

"Don't." He smiled weakly pushing my hand away. "It will make the bleeding worse."

I moved my crimson coloured hand away by his wishes. "How could it be worse my brother?" A single drop of grief welled up from the corner of my eye and suddenly, the dam broke.

"If I wasn't here with you." With his last breath, he cupped my hands and placed his sword purified with his tears. "I'll miss you." Blood erupted from his throat and I tried my best to dab it away with a cloth. "You shouldn't be afraid..of death. But only the brave..can face it...fearlessly." His last words hit me more than any blade ever would. I pressed my blue lips against his forehead, my tears drowning away his blood. I smiled sadly and closed his open eyes.

Fanart (c) Brilcrist.deviantart