Crevasse of Moments

- 3 -

Crevasse of Moments

The world seemed to blur for a few moments. A high pitch screech ringed through my ears and came out the other end. Memories flushed through my mind of Fili and I when we were kids and I struggled to find the balance between present and past. The world was a blank canvas, nothing more than the aftermath of death and destruction. I felt almost dead, or more so I should be. The white seemed to fade away and I was left with a red, although this wasn't my blood. Nor was it orcs.

I turned my head to see Thorin on the floor with Azog stood above him. Panicking I reached for a rock and threw it at the Orcs head. He turned to me, but then he looked back at Thorin. A slash resided on his head and fell down to his shoulder. I stood up, the world flickering between white and red. I limped towards my uncle, Thorin on the verge before crying. I mustn't let him die or his blood will be on my hands, just like Fili. This day carried the burden of great grief and sadness, and I carried it on my shoulders. The burden of loosing someone I loved. And not being able to cope.

"Fowl creature! Look upon me or are you too scared to look at something half your size." Azog turned his head in anger, twice I had interrupted him and he wanted to put a stop to it. He didn't see to me personally, instead he commanded his Wargs to do it for him. Two white beasts came at me with their teeth overhanging their black noses, it mattered not that they ripped a few orcs apart coming towards me. They had far more men than we did.

I grabbed a toothed sword from an Orc nearby and drove it through the beasts skull. One more came for me and I proceed to run and get height. Azog didn't look impressed, his nose turned up and his eyes became narrow. He pointed towards me with his ridged mace and I assumed that a few more orcs would be on their way. I was completely ignoring what else was going on in the world. I turned to see an Warg get it's grasp on my arm. It's teeth dripped with blood and drooled on my face. I struggled to get loose from his grip until the beast fell onto my body. I rolled the beast on his back and stood to see an arrow sat in his head. It was an elven arrow, gold and green. I turned to see an elf with golden strands of hair falling down his back, I believed he was Legolas son of Thranduil but I could be mistaken, they all looked the same to me. A few more elves followed the prince, and some more after that. The Mirkwood realm had come to assist us, why was still unsure to me.

"Dwarf." Legolas said, coming forth to me. "I shall speak with you."

I looked over his shoulder inpatient. "Not now, I need to get to Thorin." I spoke trying to nudge past the tall elf.

"That's what it's about." He responded pushing me back. "Let us take care of Azog. Rest and heal. We will see to it."

"Although I would like to see a few elves die." The elf looked down at me disgusted, his long gold hair tickling my face. "I cannot let my uncle-"

"It wasn't a question."

"He will be already dead by the time were done arguing about this." My voice became high as I trembled with fear and then into a whisper. "I cannot let that happen."

"We shall not speak of this again." The elf walked off not looking back to see me upset. A she-elf sat me down and tended to the wounds on my stomach. I breathed heavily as she pressed the white cloth to my slashes. I bit firmly into my teeth but I did not cry. The elf got up to wash out the blood in the rag, and when she looked back I was gone.

I threw my long blue top over my head, blood still splashed around the stomach area. I grabbed the elven bow that the she-elf had lying around and a bag from the table. I unwrapped material and no more than three arrows inside. I ran up to a rock seating on top of the battlefield. I drew back the elven bow, far to big to fit me. I pulled it back until the arrow was inline with my eye. I scouted for Thorin, I saw a few orcs but no dwarves. Most of them had been slaughtered by the merciless orcs and I wish I could have been there to save them.

"Argh" A faint notice came from my right and I turned my bow to face it. A tinted white armour came out from the darkness of the orcs bodies. His eyes blinked with fear as he stood tall to the Orc. Azog waved his macs from left to right just missing the dwarf by a breath.

"Thorin!" I called out positioning my bow at the white orcs head. Thorin looked up to see where the voice came from, and when he saw it was me, his face lit up. I let the arrow fly through the air and hit the white Orc in its shoulder. Blood trickled out the wound when Azog drew the arrow from his flesh. Azog snarled at me and drove his mace through Thorin's chest. I stumbled down the rocky landscape and over to Azog.

I took cover behind a chipped rock. Scurrying for a usable sword in the hoards of bodies. He rolled his eyes and laughed at my response sending wargs to sniff out for me. The panic inside my body caused many weapons to fall to the ground as I ran again. I still continued feel around in the piles for a weapon, slimy black blood fell between my disfigured fingers.

The Wargs were almost a footstep away. I grasped hit-or-miss weapon from the pile and took a moment to regain my breath. It felt like a gamble, the whole thing. It felt as if I was a chess piece and he was the player, deciding my fate and the pawn's I'd lose along the way. All those years of training with my Uncle had lead to this.

The rain begun to hit the grass violently and a horrible storm was stirring in the grey clouds. The rain bounced off my hood that sat lopsided on the crown of my head. The cry of mother nature covered every strand of wringing-wet midnight black hair, reaching my peacock eyes shrouded in anger. Little did I care that I was wet, but I hated that inside I was left to rot with me and my shadow only. My eyes wandered stray and I saw it, the army of Wargs right before me.

Their pointed teeth hung out from their crocked jaw growling and hissing at me. A snow white warg tackled me, their teeth gripping into my fragmented breeches. The irritation brought tears to my eyes, they melted down my face as I tried to kick the creature off to no avail. I shrieked thunderously as the world begun to fade. Struggling I swung my sword manically hitting the wrathful warg resulting it to fall. The sword bounced of the creature and it fell to the leafed floor. Along with it I fell paralysed to the ground, with it crying of pain and loss.

The others huddled over me spitting with their blackened spit, something about them screamed lunch time. I crawled backwards towards an opening but it was soon blocked by a tricksy onyx warg. Defenceless I frowned. The Wargs differed in height, some were stocky and some were sky-high, much taller than me. I looked for a more runty one around the circle as Azog walked towards me. I panicked and saw one whose slightly taller than me, I jumped over his back and continued to run. They chased after me and gripped onto my leather shoes, tearing them off my feet. I continued to crawl up a hill, my knees collapsed in mud and rain. They clawed and teared my legs to pieces dragging me down faster than I could get up. Azog walked over to me with a smile on his face. He crushed his mace upon my cheek bone, he took one large swing at me. I leaned to the right and slashed at the orcs head. I fell to the ground barely keeping my eyes open. He then grabbed Orcrist from Thorin's body and drove it threw my stomach. My vision blurred with dancing figures. He laughed in victory at me, looking down at me as if I was done. "Pity." He murmured. "I guess I'll just take your head."

"I'll have yours instead." I whispered smiling with rage and anger. I took a deep breath and drove my silver sword through his limp shoulder, and then into his neck.

My arms collapsed on the floor when I felt the pain of one hundred daggers sinking into my stomach. The dark red liquid slowly oozed out of my stomach, splattered along the floor. My eyes were watery with the sheer pain and my breathing came out in sharp, shallow breaths.

"H-help," I croaked, my desperate tone made my words almost inaudible, but they still echoed around the eerie, empty battlefield.