A Mind Drove Mad by Grief

- 2 -

A Mind Drove Mad By Grief

I couldn't think straight, I felt as if a part of me has been ripped out and left to wither. I looked up to see Balin place his hand on my shoulder. He kneeled next to me and placed Fili's sword in my hands.

"Your going to need this." He faintly smiled, trying too hard not to cry. I took it from him. It was one of Fili's beloved swords from our father. Fili inherited his two swords and I inherited his bow. I hunkered down over the pebbled riverbed in tears. Hammering my crimson hands into the rocks and dirt, my heart racing like a horse. Tears flooded down my blooded face mixed with purple and blue bruises. His dried blood painted my shredded indigo shirt and my tears painted his. Balin stood patting me on the back and bringing me up with him. Fili was taken away a few elven healers who had seen enough death this day to last a lifetime.

"We can't just leave him." I spoke up angry and sad as he begun to walk away.

He kneeled on his left knee masking my height. His wringing-wet midnight black hair shrouded his eyes. I couldn't see his face. "They will take him to Dis. She will look after him. Kili."I was building up the courage to say something to Balim. I had always been dismissive of it but it it felt right to say it now. "Tell me." Balin's eyes widened.

I nodded looking down to the frost bitten ground. "I don't feel like myself anymore. After seeing so many things die by our faults I feel that it is all my fault. I was always exited to see it happen." I bit hard into my lip trying to prevent the tears that fell down my face. "But now that it has happened to Fee. I cannot live with myself, knowing that I wanted it for someone else."

Balin remained silent reciting his thoughts. Opaque smoke came out of his mouth as he breathed. Night had become day and tears had become blood. "You can not doubt yourself over one whee mistake lad. If we all did that, we would be nothing. We need to take back Erebor and the land itself before orcs plague the land once more." He dried the tears from my eyes and pointed to a lone flower. It was white like the snow and delicate like the morning of spring. "If you cannot put hope in you own life, put it into others and hope for them. Like your mother. Hope for her." There was truth in his eyes and passion in his heart. It was enough for me to pick up Fili's sword and fight for whoever was left. Balin was masked by a few orcs and he was forced to fight once more.

"Going somewhere?" An eerie voice echoed around the grisly Armageddon. A horned mace held to my throat. "You see, dwarf, the world you know will be destroyed. Family, friends and your home shall be left in ruins." Azog chuckled to himself, no one other than the orcs around him laughed. "You are weak, just like your....dead brother." His voice rasped like a cats hiss, gurgling on blood.

"What do you want?" I asked.

His mouth pushed up against my ear. "I have something to show you." He muttered taking a few steps back from me. I turned to see the pastel pale orc smiling with his ridged teeth. Around the corner came his ferrous white Warg in samples of red cloth. A few arrows lay in beaded in his white fur but it was nothing to this foul beast. I looked up to see Azog laughing with delight. Then down mangled beast with blood spread across his face as if it was jam. He dropped a fragment of Fili's coat in the shape of a oval, something was inside and I feared the worst. "Come and have a look at your present." He grinned. I looked up to his devious face with fear as I approached the so called present.

I crouched down and I was about to pull the cloth away. But I was stopped by my self-concise. "And if I refuse?" I muttered, my wet hair shrouding my face.

He angrily walked over to the cloth and started into my wide eyes."If you refuse." With one sharp movement he pulled away the opaque barrier and I gasped with fear. "You'll join his head in my, my......personal collection." Azog hissed. "I only needed to take it from the medical bay. He was cowardly, just like your Grandfather, just like your Brother." He tilted his head holding in his laugher by pausing with each word. I had never felt such anger in my life, I struggled to get away. He smirked, pressing his mace to my swampy neck. I closed my lost eyes and held my breath feeling it would be my last. "Goodbye." He smirked.

He suddenly tackled me with his toothed mace, parrying his weapon we both engaged in a arm wrestle. Twitching my hands and gripping with fear of the unknown. My legs begun to slice threw the air. I felt a surge of adrenaline that rid threw my open veins. Admittedly my mouth fleshed out roaring with hurt and loss. I ran towards the pale orc pricking his sliced skin with the sharpened sword. He resisted blowing me back with his horned mace. A grey slate rock fractured my back as I fell brutally to the hardened surface. A tear in the flesh ripped open my arm, crossing my humerus. I rose up from the bodies, still alive.

His eyebrows climbed up his forehead and his eyes expanded as I continued to mask his strength. It did not last long as he drove the sword from my hand in a powerful blow. Fili's sword dropped to the uneven ground. It echoed around the cold pillars and was swallowed by the hoards of lifeless bodies. I stood vulnerable backing away from him. "I see dwarf, the sadness in your eyes, the anger in your veins." He said looking head to toe at me. "Your uncle has that same fire, and look what happened to him." He muttered lowering his already low tone. "He was drove mad, by his greed." He pointed to his men (orcs) and they shoved me towards him, grasping my arms and putting my head to the ground. I attempted to restrain but their cold fingertips clawed into me. They begun slicing my stomach with their fingernails, I bit hard into my teeth and blood soon came out of them. "And you, by your vengeance."

"No." I spat my mouth full of blood into his deformed face. "Your the mad one...to....think." The liquid in my mouth made it difficult to speak, and even breathe. "To think that you can destroy our legend. If death may take me, so be it."

I felt the force of the wind against my body. My face had hit the gooey mud that painted my eyesight brown. I failed to see what was before my eyes. They were plagued with misty visions of silhouettes.

"Well meet in the halls of our fathers, Kili." A voice muttered.