Chapter Thirty-Three

While Burke was interviewing Julia Harris, who had recovered enough to be spoken to, Stone spoke to Grey. He listened without comment for half an hour while the younger detective told his superior about his visit to Paul Quilty. Only when Grey had finished his narration did Stone say anything.

"The best thing you can do, Christian, is contact the DVLA directly; if Mr Quilty was telling the truth, you need to have someone at the DVLA check their records manually, it's possible the transfer of title has simply been held up for some reason – it wouldn't be the first time. There might have been a clerical error, something wrong with the paperwork sent in, or any number of other reasons why our system isn't showing the transfer of title."

"Yes, sir, I'll get straight on that," Grey said with a nod. "Do you want me to do anything else?"

Grey's eagerness to help with the investigation made Stone feel very old, and wonder when he had become the slightly jaded and pragmatic inspector he was now. "Yes, when you're finished with the DVLA, I want you to take a photograph of Jerry Logan and show it to Michael Powell, the eyewitness from the festival, and your two hit-and-run witnesses from this morning, Stone told him. "With luck they'll be able to identify him positively."

Stone wondered at the smile that appeared on the younger man's face, but before he could ask about it, he was given the answer.

"I've already been to see both Lisa Grubb and Megan Drake with a photograph of Jerry Logan, sir," Grey said, his demeanour revealing how pleased he was to have pre-empted his superior's instructions. "I took copies of the mugshots taken yesterday evening when he was brought in for questioning; the pictures we have on file need updating – they don't show the eagle he's got on the side of his neck now."

Stone congratulated Grey on his initiative. "Were they able to identify Jerry Logan from the pictures?" he asked. He was tempted to cross his fingers while he waited for the answer.

Grey nodded. "Yes, sir; Megan Drake was only about sixty percent certain it was him, but Lisa Grubb was positive, she recognised him straight away from the photographs."

"That's good news. That gives us enough to charge him, though it still leaves us lacking evidence against his brother." Stone was pleased. "Since Steven's still at the hospital, why don't you sit in with me while I question Jerry. It's doubtful he'll say anything that will incriminate his brother, but he might just let something slip that will make it easier for us to get a conviction against him.

"One thing, Christian," he said before they headed for the interview room, where Jerry Logan was waiting with his solicitor. "The next time you go to question a possible suspect, no matter what they're suspected of, but especially if it's armed robbery or another violent crime, take backup with you. If Mr Quilty had been one of the blaggers, you could have found yourself facing someone with a sawn-off shotgun, and I would now be trying to explain to your next of kin why you were there alone. I really don't like making next-of-kin calls, so I'd rather you didn't put me in a position where I have to."

Suitablychastened, Grey nodded. "Yes, sir."