Chapter Fifty-Eight

His steps a little more rapid than before he reached the hospital, thanks to the powerful painkillers he had talked out of a doctor, and multiple cups of extra sweet, black coffee, Stone entered the private room where Alice had been placed.

The teen, despite being visibly both tired and affected by the ordeal she had been through over the last couple of days, was sitting up in bed and sipping from a steaming mug; on the table that was positioned over the bed was a plate, on which Stone saw an assortment of biscuits and cakes, while next to the bed, holding his daughter's hand as if he intended never letting her go, was Owen Keating.

Whether it was because of her ordeal, or because her father was rich, Stone wasn't sure, but he got the impression that Alice Keating was being treated with more than the usual amount of care by the hospital staff. It was an impression that was quickly proved right as a nurse bustled in, neatly side-stepping him as he manoeuvred a chair closer to the bed, bearing a tablet, of the electronic variety, which she set on the table.

"I borrowed this from one of the doctors," she said with a smile. "You've been given something to help you sleep, but just in case it takes a while to take effect, I thought you might like something to help you relax and take your mind off things. It's got some movies on it, and some games and books, though I wouldn't like to guarantee Dr Jenson's taste when it comes to either films or books. He said you can add whatever you like, and not to worry about it."

"Thank you," Alice said with a wan but grateful smile. She made no move to pick up the tablet, she was far more interested in warming herself, both physically and emotionally, with the super-creamy hot chocolate she had been brought.

Stone waited until the nurse had finished bustling about, making sure that Alice was comfortable and needed nothing, and had left, and then he got down to things. "I realise you've been through a traumatic experience over the last couple of days, Miss Keating, and I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you feel up to it, I'd like to hear your account of what happened, while it's still fresh in your mind."

Owen Keating raised his eyes to the inspector, an unhappy look of protest on his face.

"I know you'd rather I leave things for the time being, Mr Keating," Stone said, injecting as much compassion into his voice as he could. "This is important, though. We know there were three men involved in your daughter's kidnapping – out the corner of his eye he saw Alice tense up and blanche, and he wished he didn't have to add to her distress – and that two of them were caught tonight, and are currently under guard here in the hospital, but we still need to catch the third member of the gang. Any information Alice can give us will help us to catch the last of her kidnappers.

"Every delay, no matter how small, gives him time to get away; I'm sure you don't want that."

"It's okay, dad," Alice said before her father could respond to the inspector's words. "I don't mind talking about it." A barely audible quaver in her voice betrayed the fact that she wasn't quite as okay with things as she claimed.

Stone studied Alice's face for a few moments before he nodded and asked his first question, "Can you tell me what you remember of events from Wednesday, when you were snatched from your father's car?"

Alice didn't answer straight away; she sipped at the last of her hot chocolate, and nibbled on a chocolate digestive before speaking. "Brian was driving Julia and me home after school. Oh my God! Julia, is she alright?" she asked concernedly, remembering her friend for the first time since she woke in the farmhouse where her kidnappers had taken her.

"She's fine," Stone reassured her quickly. "She was in shock for a while, but she went home earlier today, yesterday I mean," he corrected himself when he remembered that it was past midnight.

Alice accepted that news with a grateful nod and then continued with her story, "We were stopped at some traffic lights when Brian suddenly yelled 'Kidnap' and a van pulled up alongside daddy's car..."

It took some time for Alice to tell her story, covering everything that had happened to her over the past two and a half days, which was both a lot and not very much – her story drew gasps of dismay and looks of disgust, especially when she spoke of having to use a bucket for a toilet, from her father. When she was done, Stone was left with a feeling of frustration; it seemed obvious, even from her first retelling, that no matter how closely she was questioned, Alice would not be able to tell him anything about the third member of the gang that had kidnapped her. All he could do was hope that something would be found at the farmhouse by the forensics team, or that one or other of the two men they had under watch in the hospital would decide to give up their partner when questioned.