Nineteen: Poetic Justice

The next morning I considered sleeping in, but my routine was a source of comfort. I got up, showered, got my things from Val's, and went to class. Matthew was in Media Studies, but he sat at the front and I sat at the back. At noon, I called Victims Services and learned that Chris was still in jail. Apparently Dr. Winters still hadn't bailed him out.

***

Lori was at the house when I got back. “Chloe,” she said, “I want to talk to you.”

I seated myself on the couch and waited.

The light from the window framed her silhouette. She stood, hands on her hips, head tilted to one side. “Um, you look like you expect me to chew you out.”

“I'm listening.”

“You didn't ruin my floral dress, did you?”

I shook my head. “I haven't touched your stuff. What do you want to talk about?”

“Are you feeling okay?”

I took a deep breath. “You were right about Matthew, and I'm sorry. Really. I was stupid.”

“What happened?”

“He wasn't actually interested in me. We went too far.”

“Ouch.”

“My fault.”

“Yeah, I can't really imagine you throwing yourself at a guy,” said Lori. “Not your style, so I'm betting it's not your fault. But now I feel really bad.”

“Why? Did you hook up with him too?”

“No.” She laughed. “No way. Chlo, I'm moving in with Charles for good. We talked it over. I'll pay up the rent on the rest of my share of the lease-” She held up a hand to cut off my protest. “I'm really not ready to explain all this to my parents yet, so this is easier. Charles's used to paying his full rent, so it'll be cool. I just... I hope you're not mad at me?”

“Why would I be?”

“Be-cause... I'm leaving you alone to deal with your psycho brother. But things are going really well with Charles. They're perfect. I love him so much and living with him has made us so much closer.”

“Well, I'm happy for you.”

“You sure you're okay?”

“I'm fine.”

“Not feeling abandoned?”

That was exactly how I felt, but telling her that meant explaining what I'd done to Jason, so I just shook my head and smiled.

***

I thought the worst was over, I really did, only three weeks later, I walked into my Media Studies class and heard the professor announce, “Well, the big event is here.”

I didn't know there was a Big Event.

“The reason many of you ladies signed up for this class.”

I glanced around the lecture hall. Several of the girls were giggling. Matthew, sitting in the front row, lounged back. I couldn't read his expression. He never so much as looked at me.

“Today, we begin the New Light series, the biggest blockbuster of modern times. Okay people, these movies are long so I'm not going to open with a lecture. Let's just get started.” He switched off the lights, and started the movie.

All right, I thought. No worries. I can handle this. I settled myself in my seat and resolved to watch.

The very first shot was of Jason, with shoulder length hair, shirtless. He was working in a corral, or whatever the Roman equivalent was, with white horses. It was an absurd, Hollywood shot, and he looked so young. He'd been what when the movie was made? Twenty four? Twenty three? Not all that much older than me.