Thirty-Two: Back in Albuquerque

In the apartment that evening, Kyra slipped into my room while I was brushing my teeth and left the jewelry she'd borrowed on my pillow. I scooped it into my jewelry box and wondered if I would get a straight answer if I asked her about what was going on in her life. I was too tired to try, though, so I went to bed.

***

A very apprehensive looking Jen picked us up at the airport in Albuquerque. She gave us each a hug, and while I appreciated feeling included, I knew I was encroaching on a very private family matter. It was a good thing I'd be flying out again the next day, though what awaited me back in New York was anybody's guess. Kyra had been silent most of the flight, though she did grasp my hand once, and say, “I'm really glad you're with me today. It'll all be good, you know?”

She and Jen didn't exchange anything but pleasantries on the drive home. There was a stiff formality between them that let me know, they weren't speaking freely. I hunched down in the back seat and tried to be inconspicuous.

When we got to the house, Kyle welcomed me warmly and we all ate a dinner of paella and olives and fresh baked bread. I wanted to call Jason afterward, but he was filming that evening. I left him a voicemail and then read my book until I could politely disappear into the guest room for the night.

I'd never felt so lonely in my life. Hearing Kyra and Kyle in the living room as they discussed college applications made me miss them already.

I stayed up late, but Jason didn't call me back.

***

My phone rang while it was still dark and knocked me out of a fitful sleep. For several minutes I thought I was just dreaming the sound of my ringtone, but then it stopped and started again. It wasn't just any ringtone either. It was Jason's. I'd downloaded the theme to New Light for him, which he'd found hilarious.

The clock on the nightstand said it was three a.m. Which meant it was five a.m. in New York. Something was wrong. I grabbed my phone.

“Jas?” I croaked.

“Hi.”

“Hi.” I rolled over and rubbed my eyes. “You okay? You want to talk?”

“I need you for something.”

“I'm in Albuquerque.”

“I know. So am I.”

“What?”

“Can I pick you up in forty-five minutes?”

“What?”

“Please?”

“Wait... what?”

“Please?”

“Is everything all right?”

“I need to see you.”

“Okay, yeah, forty-five minutes. I'll be ready.”

I rolled out of bed and fumbled for my little bag where I kept my shampoo and razor and soap. I knew he could be impulsive sometimes, like when he'd shown up to feed me ice cream after Matthew bailed on me, but this was extreme.

Jen's house was dark, save for a little night light in the hall. I tiptoed to the bathroom and shut the door. She'd no doubt wonder what I was doing, but it wasn't like I could tell her. I didn't know myself. The light in the bathroom flickered on when I hit the switch and the fan started up with a faint rumble. I pushed the edge of the shower curtain inside the tub and turned on the shower.

In my bag, I found a rubber band and put my hair up as best I could, then stepped into the stream of warm water. The sensation of it sluicing over me helped me wake up, but that didn't take away the confusion or fear of what was about to come I scrubbed myself with soap, rinsed, and stepped out onto the fluffy bathmat and rubbed myself down with a towel. My hair looked limp and flat even after being steamed in the shower. New Mexico was that dry compared to New York. I brushed it out, then washed my face in the sink and applied makeup. Maybe I couldn't control what happened with Jason in the next few hours, but I was going to look my best for it.