Idiots and happy endings

Draco ran. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him, almost tripping twice on his robe.

Hermione had heard the news. Every Slytherin that'd seen him had alerted Hermione that Draco was looking for her, including Pansy.

'He's a bit of a dick, really. You can have him.' Pansy smiled sadly and hooked arms with Blaise, who was more than happy to accompany Pansy. 'Bye!' She added.

When Draco finally caught up with Hermione just before lunch, he'd prepared a great speech about his undying love for her, and how we didn't care about anyone else. But all he received was a stinging red slap across his already-bruising left cheek, a large surprise.

He let out a series of foul-mouthed curses, followed by, 'Hermione, what the hell?!'

'How dare you do that to two girls!' Hermione spat at him, 'that is the cruelest thing I think you've ever done.'

'I couldn't help it, she gave me-'

'I know what she gave you, Draco Malfoy! A truth serum! But if you weren't such an insufferable prat in the first place Astoria wouldn't be heartbroken right now. If you think she's going to go out with you now, I can assure you you're very wrong!'

'I don't want her...' Draco said quietly.

'The audacity of it! I don't see why you couldn't have just told her you didn't love her, before Pansy fed you a truth potion and messed everything-' Hermione then stopped completely, his previous statement reaching her brain, 'what did you just say?'

'I don't want her.' Draco said louder. 'How much did they tell you?'

'They told me about you not loving your own girlfriend, about her being an experiment. Why, what else did you say?' She frowned deeper. 'If you tell me you like men or something-'

Draco laughed. An authentic laugh. 'I'm not gay, Hermione. I'm just a massive idiot who knows nothing about other girls and never meant to hurt anyone, especially not Astoria and especially not you.'

Hermione gulped, and broke the short silence with, 'I'm not hurt. What do you mean other girls?'

'What?'

'What do you mean other girls? Which girls do you actually know?'

'I know one girl who has two muggle parents, called Tom and Louise, who would be preferred to be called Mr and Mrs Granger. She has an annoying cat that I swear comes from the depths of hell, the curliest and fuzziest and cutest hair I've ever seen, a laugh to die for, a hunger for breaking rules, especially educational decrees,' he took a sharp breath, took in her startled expression and continued, 'She broke up with me to spare me the pain and ever since then I've been in insufferable pain because of it. Not to mention the pain I've caused others.' Draco looked down at his shoes. 'And if that one girl would do me the honour of forgiving me, I'd be the happiest guy alive.'

Hermione was speechless, a pink glow to her cheeks. 'I can go one better.' She said in a suddenly small voice and smiled, and peeping onto her toes just the tiniest bit, and leaned in, inches away from Draco's supple cheek. It was as if time slowed down for her, but for Draco it was all too fast; he saw her lips and he turned his head, receiving the kiss on the lips instead.

Hermione blanched, looking shocked while still touching his smooth pink lips with hers.

Then, she finally gave in and their lips moved together, and she quite forget how idiotic it was to be kissing him. His soft, warm lips were everything she loved, a taste so familiar it was homely, from the sweet smell of parchment, probably from burying his face in the impossible homework; and she longed for to the hint of mint toothpaste that made it all seem real. He felt her smile from the suddenness, and returned one. They were lost in each others heartbeat.

She was first to pull away, Draco was too much in shock to consider it, and they leant into each others' foreheads, separated by a smile. 

'Does this prove I'm not gay?' Draco joked, surrounding himself in her laugh.

'You're such an idiot.' Hermione laughed.

*~*~*~*