Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

1

From the tinted car window, Gabbi stared at the endless ocean of green towards the house of her new owner. They traveled for hours now and reached the border of the town called Iverfield, hundreds of kilometers away from London's center.

Mama Fred, the manager, said it was her last job. Somebody finally bought her body and freedom. "Including all of your teeth hiding in that somber face of yours," Mama Fred added. Surely, she was purchased by a huge amount. If not, he wouldn't bother to send her personally. They even fixed her up. They dabbed colors on her face and donned a knee-length sleeved white dress. Silky but frilly, innocent but inviting, just enough to cover the scars on her arms and neck.

"Not all whores look like whores," Mama Fred said this morning, with a soft squeeze on her shoulders. "You're lucky. Not all ended up like you. For a waitress, you've scored well," he said after they entered the stony arc of 'Welcome to Iverfield.' It was more than a quarter an hour ago.

Gabbi nodded, just like all the reminders he said. It would all be the same. As far as she remembered, different people had owned her, all of them unkind. This time, it wouldn't be different.

Her mind wandered three days ago. She woke up, alone in the room, and alive, with no wounds on her painful neck whatsoever, with dried blood in its place.

"Vampire..." She touched the side of her neck, then dismissed the thought. Dream or not, her wish didn't come true. She woke, and the fact that she was on her way to another hell is proof that she's alive and still miserable.

After more minutes, the sea of trees and thickening fog, they finally reached a tall rusty gate, with towering bricked walls on each, coated with moss, vines, and small white flowers, sprinkled with dew. A miracle, despite the problematic visibility. The car stopped in front of the gate.

"Behave." Mama Fred exited the car, straight to the figure standing by the gate; a middle-aged woman, clothed in black, hair bunned on her nape.

"My master said you may go and leave the girl." Gabbi lipread the woman, one of her unique skills.

Mama Fred returned back, knocked on the door window, and signaled her to come out. Gabbi did.

"Well, good luck," he said. "I'll miss your pretty, blank face."

"Thank you," was all she said.

He paused, looked straight into her eyes, and then he couldn't. The confidence, the superiority, flickered as he quickly entered the car, and then it sped, swallowed by the fog, its red tail lights shrinking away like an evil's eyes on retreat.

Gabbi faced the woman. She was staring at her and smiled, the first gentle smile ever someone gave to her after a long time. Beyond her were just a silhouette of trees, embraced with the white veil of fog. A chill passed and seeped through her bones, and the hair on her nape raised.

The gate creaked open. "Come, Miss Gabrielle." Closer, the woman looked younger and more beautiful. Probably even Valeen, the most popular girl in the roster of Casa Belle whores. The faint blush of pink and purple under her eyes added to the mystery, like a painting of a sleepless goddess come to life. She was just standing there, eyeing Gabbi with gentle eyes, and yet, exuded a refined and reserved movement. "Master would want to meet you. Follow me."

Gabbi took a step towards her new hell. The gate grated close behind her, with no one, like how automatic gates privileged people have.

"Miss Gabrielle?" the woman asked ahead when Gabbi didn't move, face towards the gate. "Is something a matter?"

"No." She shook off the distant sound of a crash and a scream. "I thought I heard something."

"Must be the animals," she said. "This is quite near the heart of the forest. A lot of them prowl at this hour." Then she walked on.