7 ~ Sweet as a Gummy Worm

A/N: I'm sorry I didn't reply to your messages as promised, but as soon as the term is over in a week, I will get on that! :) I hope you like this chapter anyways! _StrawberrySlushie_ made me a lovely banner, look on the side!! 

Chapter 7: Sweet as a Gummy Worm (Lottie)

Once I got off work, I drove over to a park nearby where I could eat Ben's sweeties without Ginny snatching them away like I knew she would. I grinned at the packet. Even though he didn't know it, gummy worms were one of my absolute favourites, and that was what he had given me.

Add that to the fact that Benjamin Fisher had given me sweets, and I was on Cloud 9. I mean, sure it had been out of guilt, but that must've meant that he'd felt at least a little compassion towards me, right? And that compassion was enough to satiate me for the time being, since he obviously wouldn't have changed his attitude towards me completely.

Why did I even care about getting on his good side? I didn't really know, all I knew was that when I saw that glimmer of amusement in his eyes, it made me very, very happy, and I knew I wanted to see it again. Maybe even a smile if I was lucky.

But I had to be very, very lucky.

I sat down on the cool metal bench of the swing and gently pushed myself back so that I was swaying as I ate the gummy worms - savouring each sweet, chewy bite. First the head comes off, then each notch of the body, and then finally the tip. "I love sweeties!" I sang loudly, propelling myself higher off the ground.

"I love sweeties, too," a small voice cheered, and I felt the swing set rattle as someone plopped down in the other seat.

I turned my head with a worm dangling out of my mouth and blinked at the small girl rocking next to me with something sticky covering her mouth. "Hello!" I greeted with a smile. "How are you doing, sweetheart?"

She grinned a red-toothed smile at me and gave me a thumbs up. She had a bright red lollipop hanging between her lips and was sucking on it happily.

"Wow, you're a messy one, aren't you?" I stopped swinging and placed my hand on her rope to get her to stop. "Why don't I wipe your face, eh?" I knew it was weird that I was cleaning random children's faces, but who cared? I took out one of my travel-size wet wipe packs from my purse and used one of the wet wipes to scrub all the sugar off her face.

The cute little girl squirmed and batted away my hand. "No!" she squeaked, her little feet kicking at me energetically.

"I'll give you a gummy worm if you stop moving," I compromised, showing her my precious packet. As if I'd flipped a switch, she became as still as a statue, her spine stiff and her wide-eyed expression hilarious. It was almost comical how quickly she stopped moving.

I smiled, pleased, and knelt down next to this child, wiping away any last trace of lolly, and winking when I realised her big brown eyes were staring at me. "There we are!" I exclaimed cheerily, standing up and patting her head of unruly blonde curls. "And here you are!" I presented her with my beloved sweeties as promised, and laughed delightedly when her eyes bugged out in shock.

"I have these same sweeties!" she declared loudly, jumping up and down. She was so bouncy that she began smacking my thigh, kind of hard for a five year old. I grabbed her hand to get her to stop and she began shaking around the gummy worms instead.

"Oh really?" I asked lightly, cocking my hip. "Where are they?"

"They're right here!" she squealed, waving around the bag I had just given her.