41 ~ Sweet as a Disney Movie

a/n: dedicated to fantasical for the freaking perfect beautiful cover she make for me i'm going to cry it's so lovely

Chapter 41: Sweet as a Disney Movie

"Huh? Huh? Huh?" Ginny whacked me repeatedly with her towel, chasing me around the shop.

"Ginny, stop," I said, pushing her away from me.

She smirked in a way that scared the bejesus out of me. I slowly started backing away. "You think I'm going to let you off when you said one day and you've been gone one week? Get the fuck back here, you tramp!"

I squeaked and ducked behind the front counter. "Come on, Ginny, I'm sorry," I said, pouting at her.

"Don't give me that look. You didn't even call me!"

"I did, but you didn't answer." I slapped my hands on the counter and stood up slowly, staring at her.

Ginny raised her eyebrows and popped one hip sassily. "What?"

"Zachary answered your phone when I called. Tell me, Ginny. What's been going on with you two?"

She scoffed. "Nothing at all. Why would you expect anything more from the King of Being a Scared and Immature Brat?"

I sighed. Zach was an idiot. "Oh," I said. "Nothing at all?" I made a mental note to call Zach and ask him what was going on and figure out what stupid thing he'd done this time.

"Nothing at all. Don't go running off to him, either, Charlie. Maybe I had fancied him a little before, but I'm actually perfectly fine without him."

I smiled. "Really?"

Ginny smiled back, shoving the surprisingly stinging hand towel in her apron pocket. "Really, I swear. It's way different than your ooey-gooey, die-without-you thing you've got going with Lover Boy."

I ducked my head to hide how quickly my face turned red. "Stop it!" I laughed, covering my face with my hands.

"Aw, are you embarrassed?" she cooed. "Aww, don't worry Charlie, Benny-wenny wuvs you!"

Even though she was teasing me, her words made me beam. Ben loved me, he really did love me. There wasn't a thing in the world that could describe how I felt when I opened the fridge after Ben left and saw that adorable cake in its crushed cardboard box, just chilling there on the top shelf.

"Charlie, I hope this romantic business won't affect your work schedule, because God knows I am going to work you like the dog you are-"

"Dog?" I asked curiously.

Ginny rolled her eyes and threw up her arms. "You're a bitch, Charlie. Honestly, do I have to spell out everything for you?"

I shrugged and smiled. "I'm sorry, Ginny."

"But are you really?"

"I'm sorry for making you cover all my shifts," I said sincerely. "And for not calling you."

"Especially on your birthday," she muttered. "I tried to call you but it kept saying your phone was disconnected or some shit. And then what was I supposed to do? My best friend's birthday. Dammit."

"I did come back at seven," I tried, feeling really guilty when I saw how annoyed she was. "And you made the rest of my day amazing."

"Yeah?"

I grinned and ran around the counter to give her a big hug. "Yes, best friend!"

Ginny rolled her eyes, but hugged me back anyway. "I'll forgive you if you cover me now, I've got a date at half past twelve."