Chapter four

Making friends with the mysterious Mr Saintono was far harder than I had expected. Many things got in the way and before I knew it, weeks had passed and I hadn't seen him once.

Admittedly, I had been very busy with work but it seemed impossible to think that someone could live next to a bakery and never be seen by the employees.

It felt almost as if he was avoiding me, but that just didn't make any sense. I hadn't done anything to warrant avoiding, not that I knew of anyway.

Andres had become extremely popular in our town. Ladies and men alike were swooning over the handsome new resident and he seemed to be revelling in the attention. According to Alex, he had attended every dinner invitation that he had received. I didn't dare ask how many that was.

Still, I couldn't capture his attention for even a split second and it seemed like maybe I had missed my opportunity to get to know him. Andres did not need any more friends, he had enough to last him an eternity. But still, I couldn't help but want to be one of those many, many friends.

I too had been struck with his charm just as everyone else had. The desire to be acknowledged by the man, to be sought after by him. He was a high-class, respectable man. Rich, talented and drop-dead gorgeous. Being friends with him was a ticket to feeling like a success.

Of course, it wasn't the success that I was after. Nor did I care as much for his looks as the other women seemed to. Honestly, I didn't know what it was that drew me to Andres. He was handsome and seemed intelligent and respectable. Yet, there was something else that made me want to get through his walls and see who he really was.

Admittedly, I didn't believe I could ever accomplish that. I wasn't confident enough in myself to attempt to win over such a man. Starting conversations, inviting him out...I wouldn't even know how to do those things without making a fool of myself.

Despite my lack of confidence, when Sunday morning came around I found myself standing outside the front door of a certain Greek man's house; a plate full of marshmallow and white chocolate cookies held tightly against my stomach.

Due to my nerves, I had managed to fall over on my way to his house. My knees were slightly scuffed up but I had, thankfully, saved the plate when I fell.

My breasts and stomach were not saved, however, and as neither were particularly small I went through a fair amount of pain during the fall. It was those sort of moments that made me wish my entire body was slimmer; no women should bounce when she falls. Still, I knew that if I really was that slim, I would miss my body.

Although the plate hadn't hit the ground with my body, the cookies had been knocked around a bit in the fall and now some were breaking apart. The sight almost had me marching back to the bakery to re-bake the entire batch, but I couldn't. If I left my spot I knew I wouldn't be able to build up the courage to return.

Instead of turning back, I raised my hand and knocked. It was faint but loud enough to be heard. After a few moments, I heard a yell of "Just a moment," followed by some vague shuffling sounds. My nerves grew as i realised that Andres was definitely in, and my slight hope that he wouldn't be home was crushed. A part of me still wanted to turn and leave but before I could act on my doubtful thoughts the door was slung open and a tall, damp haired, shirtless Andres opened the door. It was clear he had very recently had a shower; his cheeks were still flushed from the heat and his body was still damp, smelling rather profusely of apples.

"Miss Lena, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He sounded like an old fashioned gentleman, one you would read about romance books set in the Victorian era. I'd never fancied myself a hopeless romantic but it seems my ideals were changing ever so slightly.