1

[Chapter 1]

Adéla's eyes opened when she heard something falling. Beads of sweat adorned her forehead, and suddenly she felt hot. She had one of the most weird nightmares ever. She couldn't remember what was the nightmare about or who was in it, but the only things that crossed her mind were a pair of emerald eyes: too intense to be real, too opaque to represent someone who's alive and has a beating heart. A guy with curly hair laying against a door frame; thick white sweater, good black moccasins. Other than that, it seemed like she didn't even dream of it.

She sat up straight before standing up, her feet padding against the cold floor of her new room. She hummed softly as she made her way downstairs despite the dizziness she felt; she was more determined to find what the shattering noise was.

"Mom?" She called as she entered the huge kitchen. She looked around: there were unpacked boxes thrown carelessly everywhere; forks, pans, knives and spoons were on the table and some where on the breakfast bar along with the fancy plates her mom once bought for Christmas, even though they never got to use them, since they spent their last Christmas on New York.

"Here darling!" Her mom called from behind the breakfast bar. She walked further, only to find her mom sitting on the floor picking up pieces of a broken plate. So that's where the shattering noise came from.

"What happened?" Her voice was quiet and raspy due to her previous sleep. She sat next to her mom on the floor and started picking up some of the pieces.

"This boxes are really heavy, y'know," her mom sighed, "I let go of one accidentally, and this plate just fell out of nowhere."

"Out of nowhere?" Adéla asked.

"Yeah," her mom answered quietly as her eyebrows came down in a frown. She picked up a piece of the floral patterned plate and examined it. "I mean, the box was closed when it fell. And I don't remember buying this plate."

"Well, I don't remember buying it either," Adéla said; the fact that her mother didn't remember buying such a vintage looking plate didn't startle her. Her mom bought a lot of things she wasn't going to use to then forget about their existence.

They finished picking up the plates and made their way to the living room, sitting on the new sofa.

"Moving is exhausting," her mom complained.

"Then why on hell did we have to move?" Adéla bit.

"Language." Her mother warned. "Because we were getting tired of that old tiny house. We needed a change."

"Sure," Adéla said sarcastically. "Anyways, I have to get ready for school."

"Oh yes, it's your first day in Oakwood," her mother said as she put the adorn she had been examining down on the table. She smiled at her daughter. "Are you nervous?"

"A bit, yes." Adéla bit her lip. "I mean, this school seems really... I don't know... for pretentious people?"

"Oh, of course not, Addy!" Her mom exclaimed, "I bet your school is not like that, I mean, it doesn't really matter if they are or not, you'll make friends."

"You say it like it's that easy." Adéla sighed, making her way to the staircase. "See you in a bit."

Adéla rummaged through her closet hurriedly, trying to get something to wear. She opted for a sweater and a pair of jeans, her to-go outfit for a chilly day on North Hollywood. She zipped on her boots and brushed her hair, then made her way to her bathroom to brush her teeth and apply her makeup, which consisted of foundation, concealer and powder. She didn't like to put on so much on the mornings: it made her feel uncomfortable. She walked back to her room with her makeup bag in her hand, and felt a cold breeze blow against her back. She looked behind her just to see nothing but her still empty desk. She noticed the chair was pulled back from the table, as if someone had sat on it and didn't put it back in place. She, being the clean-obsessed-girl she is, pulled it further, only it didn't budge. She tried and tried, but it still wouldn't move. She didn't understand why, because the chair didn't look that heavy and had nothing on it retaining it. After a few more tries, she eventually gave up and looked for her backpack.