Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2: PRAESENTI VITA PER CONSILIUM

LIVING THE PRESENT BY A PLAN

PRE-HOGWARTS

“Albus, if what the girl is saying is true – well, to be honest, I don’t know...What do we do if Hermione is telling the truth?”

“I have every faith that everything she has told you is fact, Dorea. The question is what we do with her now that she is here. I have no doubt that she will be able to provide us with valuable information regarding the future. In particular, how to defeat Lord Voldemort.”

Dorea flinched slightly at the mention of Voldemort’s name, but recovered quickly enough to press on with the issue at hand.

“What of her appearance? She claims to be of age, but she doesn’t look old enough to have started school yet!”

Dorea gazed at Dumbledore’s piercing blue eyes as though that in itself could help her find an answer to all her questions. She knew he probably had several theories being thrown about in that magnificent brain, however his silence indicated that there were none he was willing to give away.

Both of them sat still for a moment, each lost in their own thoughts. It was Dorea who finally broke the silence.

“She looks like she needs a few good, hot meals in her and some love. She said she spent the last year or so on the run, if she did even half of what she said she did. Merlin... On the other hand, if she is staying, she’ll need some clothes and shoes...”

The girl in Dorea surfaced as she rattled off the number of things that Hermione needed, while Albus sat watching her, blue eyes twinkling. Apparently Dorea had wanted a daughter much more than what she had previously let on.

“Perhaps it would be best if she stayed with you. I can trust she is in good hands. After all, you know her circumstances. You said you have already told Charlus of the situation?”

Dorea nodded fervently at this.

“Perhaps it would be best if you refrained from telling young Misters Potter and Black. I do not underestimate their potential for understanding, but I’m sure you can see that this situation is a little extreme. A still tongue and a wise head, Mrs Potter.”

“Yes, of course,” said Dorea, standing to leave, “Thank you Albus. I don’t know what we would do without you. Now if you don’t mind, I have some girls business to attend to with Hermione.”

Outwardly, Dumbledore chuckled at this, however, inwardly, his thoughts turned melancholy.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Mrs Potter, you really shouldn’t have gone to all this trouble!” exclaimed Hermione from her position, in bed.

“Nonsense dear, I’ve never had a daughter to spoil, so I am making the most of it while it lasts.”

Hermione felt touched that Dorea had referred to her as someone akin to a daughter. It was only the other day that she and Charlus, on the advice of Dumbledore, suggested that they adopt Hermione as their own daughter. James had expressed his enthusiasm via owl post, mentioning that Sirius was also pleased. They had been staying at the Lupin’s house while Hermione recovered from her injuries and got settled in. However, they were still yet to meet while Hermione was in conscious form.

“Mrs Potter, this must have cost a fortune –”

But Dorea cut her off before she could protest further.