Chapter 33

Chapter 33: Lorem ipsum bonum

Despite the tensions, trials and tribulations, Hermione and the Marauder’s had made it through their fourth year at Hogwarts.

The Marauder’s were still working on becoming Animagi, and judging by the amount of sleep that they needed and the food they were eating, Hermione guessed that they were pretty close to achieving that.

It was now the summer holidays before their fifth year and Hermione was desperately trying to relax, however, no matter how much she tried, she could not. She even contemplated going out into the Muggle world for some well-deserved peace and rest. She resolved to write a letter to Lily later that week to see if she wanted to come with her. With the threat of Death Eaters always looming, Hermione did not want to venture out alone.

Ever since Hermione had begun to live with the Potters she had been completely immersed in all things magical. This was perfectly fine with Hermione, up to a point, however, she missed the things that only the muggle world had to offer.

In previous summer breaks, Hermione had indulged her and her brother’s friends with some good old-fashioned muggle fun. They had visited a couple of amusement parts, the zoo and even seen a few films at the Cinema.

Sirius and James had really enjoyed watching films such as ‘The Godfather: Part II’, which had recently been released. Remus loved ‘Robin Hood’. Peter (whom Hermione had grudgingly invited) was fascinated by everything. Hermione’s favourite was, and still remained to be ‘The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes’. She loved the mystery around it all.

The group had enjoyed the films so much that James had persuaded his parents to buy and charm him a projector to play the films. Ma and Pops had shown great enthusiasm and it had been his birthday gift a few years previously. Since then, the collection of films in the Potter household, similarly to its youthful occupants, had grown steadily.

On this particularly warm afternoon, Hermione was sitting in the shade by the lagoon in the grounds of the Manor. She had briefly and fondly revisited the memories of their time here in the summer before their third year. Life had been a little more carefree for her then.

To be honest, life had never really been carefree for Hermione, but she looked at that particular period of her life with fondness.

‘It certainly was not like life now,’ she said in her head, mentally cursing at the ease at which her thoughts turned to the horcruxs, Peter and the Death Eaters, and inevitably, Voldemort.

Hermione and Dumbledore had been meeting reasonably regularly since their failed attempt at securing the Cup. They had gone over and researched all the possibilities, yet so far, come up to no plausible conclusion. They had even taken it upon themselves to visit some of the potential places. Hermione could safely say that even with Dumbledore by her side, Knockturn Alley was not a friendly place to visit.

Hermione could sense that Dumbledore was becoming more and more frustrated as each of their options turned out to be a dead end. Hermione could not imagine the intensity of what he was feeling when her own emotions were so powerful towards it.

Hermione sat there, at the water’s edge, sunning herself for some time. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she did not hear the pounding of feet against the ground, until the source of the noise was quite close.

An enormous, shaggy, black dog had come running up towards her. It’s tail was wagging, and tongue flopping about everywhere like there was no tomorrow.