Chapter 50

Chapter 50: Lux in tenebris

Hermione recovered well, physically. Emotionally there was evidently quite a way to go.

A ward in St.Mungo’s was dedicated to all those that fought at Godric’s Hollow even though most of them did not even know why they were fighting. Hermione, herself, had been forced to stay in this ward for a number of weeks, but fortunately it had been in a private room, away from prying eyes.

Hermione had been passing the time by reading the ludicrous stories in ‘The Daily Prophet’ about the events in Godric’s Hollow. There were all sorts of theories as to why Hermione had been able to defeat the darkest wizard of all time, while others quaked in their boots. Everything but the truth had been reported, and for that Hermione was extraordinarily grateful.

All her friends, room-mates and family had come to visit her during her stay at the hospital. They seemed to be coping alright for the moment, but only time would really tell of the true impacts of all that they had lost. They all came in droves, except for Remus, who did not pay her a visit until her last day when he had showed up with a small bunch of flowers.

He was a shadow of his former self and he looked ten times worse than what he did after a transformation. Hermione heart sunk to the level of her knees when she saw him enter the room. He had just lost the love of his life and Hermione did not know what to say to console him. She wasn’t sure that there was anything that anyone could say that would make him feel better.

For the first time, since she had first met Remus Lupin, Hermione understood why he must have been so wary of marrying Nymphadora Tonks.

Sure, he loved her, but his one-time love was Estrella Archbold had been murdered by the very werewolf that had turned Remus, and Hermione did not think he could truly get over that. Ever.

He told her how he had managed to kill the wand-less Fenrir Greyback, and without any guilt or shame, he told her how satisfying it was to slaughter the thing that had so callously destroyed his life twice.

Hermione told him to stop talking at this point. She had had enough of war stories and of pain. For the present, she just wanted to focus on the future.

Sirius arrived the next day to take Hermione back home. He told her that Godric’s Hollow was slowly being rebuilt, and that it was starting to look really nice considering what had happened there. There own flat, being in Diagon Alley, was safe and untouched, as were Lisette and Della, who had remained there until Marlene was ready to collect them.

Hermione only half-listened to these updates, she was still figuring out how to feel about what she had done in recent weeks.

It was a beautiful summer day outside, and Hermione’s garden room reflected that. The sunshine was reflected on the magical walls and magical windows in such a way that it looked real.

Hermione spent a great deal of time in her garden, reflecting. She thought about the past, the present and above all the future. She let out a sigh of relief, and with every breath she breathed out through her nose, she let go of a little of her guilt and her grief.

For the first time in twenty-four years, Hermione felt safe.