The Interlude

Chapter Six: The Interlude

Draco POV (I Bet You Weren't Expecting That):

Draco Lucius Malfoy was not happy. So far this summer had been the most confusing one yet. First of all, his father was being hush-hush about everything all of a sudden. One night over dinner, when Draco asked what his plans were whilst her was to be at school, his father told him to go to his room! Like a child, being told off for sneaking out! Malfoy's are not troublemakers. Draco didn't understand what was wrong. Later that night, Draco's mother came up to his room to reassure him that it wasn't his fault and that there isn't anything wrong, apparently, his father was just worried about some things at work. Draco did not believe us for one minute but then decided to let it slide.

The next time that something strange had happened was a warm day in August when he was going to the dining room for ice cream. As he passed through the halls, he came to a halt as he heard the indistinguishable squeaky voice of one of the Manor's dozen House Elves.

"Yes Master, Mistress. Do Master and Mistress need anything else of Sneaky?" Draco quietly walked towards the door. He opened the door slowly a little and peered inside the dimly lit room. His mother was standing to one side in front of Sneaky while his father was standing by the fire. He was wearing dark, billowing robes that swept along the floor as he paced. Draco's breath caught as he saw a silver mask glimmering in the fire's light and froze as his father turned. He had been caught.

And boy, was Lucius Malfoy not amused.

"DRACO. Come here." Draco walked into the room timidly. Narcissa watched Draco, preparing to intervene if necessary. Draco didn't think he needed anyone to help him. Him, the greatest swordplayer of the time, Founder of Hogwarts, Best Friends of Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw, and-

Draco halted mid-step. What had he just thought? Before he could think more about it, his father walked up to him and grabbed his arm. Draco fumed in his head. Who does this...reptile think he is? Grabbing ME like some common fool.

Draco pulled out of his father's grasp, ignoring his mother's soft gasp, and straightened.

"Father." He said calmly as if he hadn't been eavesdropping and been caught. Meanwhile, his mind was whirring. What were those robes? And that mask?

That was not the first, and certainly not the last time he had gotten in trouble this summer. His father called him out for the littlest of things. Messy hair, being too soft, just being unMalfoy-like in general. Draco hated it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco panted as sweat poured down his forehead. He sighed and got up from his bed, slowly to not alert anyone else of the disturbance and walked to the kitchen. It was the tenth time that week he had been awakened by strange dreams. As Draco poured himself a glass of water, he wondered if he should tell someone. His father- no that was out of the question. Maybe his mother, but he wasn't sure if she would tell his father. The same applied to the House Elves.

Mentally kicking himself for thinking of willing speaking to one of those creatures, Draco walked back to his room and laid in his bed. As he fell asleep, he wondered how much longer he would be able to keep anyone from knowing.