Chapter 13

The household was thrown into turmoil when we told Jacob, Emily and Sylvia what we'd learned from Ludlow. All the maids and footmen were directed to help us pack. Sylvia and Tommy would return with us, and we needed to get to the station as soon as possible. According to the copy of the timetable pinned to the board in Jacob's study, the next train left in an hour.

"Do you know the proprietor of The Red Lion?" Jacob asked Sylvia as she drew on her gloves in the entrance hall.

"As well as one can know an innkeeper," she said with a sniff and tilt of her chin.

"Tommy will," I said. "He'll speak to him for us."

Quin paced the tiled floor, glancing every now and again up the staircase as we waited for the servants to come down with our luggage. I half expected him to run up and take over the task himself. "I'll force him to tell us," he growled.

"I'd rather not frighten the poor fellow half to death," I said. According to Ludlow's ledger, the book of spells had been put on the early train to Harborough. Its final destination was listed as The Red Lion Inn, room number three.

Quin blew out a long breath and finally stopped pacing. He stood directly in front of me, his usually bright blue-green eyes inky and huge. He looked at me with such pain and misery that I regretted my distrust of him and harsh tones. He made me feel like we were the only two people in the room.

But we were not. Quin opened his mouth to say something to me, but Jacob got in first. "I'm coming with you."

"Why?" I asked.

He fixed his steely gaze on Quin. "To keep your friend on a leash."

It reminded me of something the spirit of Father Ignatius had said at the church: 'Warriors are never let off their leash.' It was just another confirmation that Quin was operating outside the laws of Purgatory. It was looking increasingly likely that he should not even be here at all. Oh God. What happened when one defied the administrators? The thought chilled my bones.

Jacob and Quin stood toe to toe, equally fierce and determined expressions hardening their features. Quin was a little larger and taller, but I knew Jacob wouldn't back away.

"Stop it," Emily snapped. "Both of you. Jacob, you can't go. Have you forgotten that important business meeting?"

"I can reschedule it," he said without looking away from Quin.

"It's too important to change at such short notice. Besides, let Cara handle Quin her way. He hasn't harmed her yet, and I'm sure he won't start."

"I won't," Quin said. "Thank you, Emily." Then he did a remarkable thing. He stepped away, essentially conceding to Jacob. "I would never harm her." It wasn't clear whether his quietly spoken words were directed at Emily, Jacob or myself. He didn't look at me, but I had the distinct feeling that I was the intended recipient.

"Damnation," Jacob muttered quietly. It would seem he had also conceded so that neither man had won the argument. "Dawson," he said as Tommy came down the stairs carrying luggage in both hands. "Be sure that Quin continues to behave as a gentleman ought."

Emily rolled her eyes. Like me, she was probably wondering how Tommy could stop Quin if he decided to behave any differently.

Tommy, however, nodded in earnest. "I will, sir." Behind him, other servants filed down the stairs. They headed out the front door and went about tying the cases to the roof of the coach.

We exchanged quick but heartfelt goodbyes in the entrance hall. The children had come to see us off and I enveloped each of them in big, but brief, hugs. Quin, however, took his time. He squatted in front of Gabe.